Topic locked

Excesive weigth in .h models

March 24, 2014 - 1:32am #1

Hi guys,

I posted last week that I was triying to replace the teapot without using JNA (only with Java).

 

When I got to the solution, I tried several models which were converted from .obj using the well known perl script.

My surprise was that the weigth of a .h model is x8, x10 higher than the .obj one. If we have in mind that we are developing for mobiles (or tablets) I think that there is a problem with it. Some models grows to 200MB so they become difficult to be manipulated.

 

Is there any way to get this weigh down?

 

Thank very much.

Excesive weigth in .h models

March 27, 2014 - 3:55am #4

You're welcome.

Excesive weigth in .h models

March 27, 2014 - 1:28am #3

I'll try this that you tell me. Sorry my mistake, I thought it would be related to the converter from obj to .h too.

Thank you so much for your reply!

 

Excesive weigth in .h models

March 24, 2014 - 1:50am #2

My surprise was that the weigth of a .h model is x8, x10

What matters is the vertex count and or the polygon count, practically the length of the OpenGL vertex arrays (vertex coordinates, texture coordinates, normals), as this is what needs to be passed to the glVertexArray functions; so, if your OBJ model has a large number of vertices and polygons, that's simply what your model mesh is about in the end.

In this case, one thing you may want to consider is to use some Mesh Simplification tools to reduce the polygon count of your 3D models. Not however that this is a general issue of how to handle large 3D models on mobile platforms, and it does not relate to Vuforia; so, we cannot help on this. 

Maybe have a look at the Internet to search for some Mesh Simplification tools, as those could really help solve your problem.

 

 

Topic locked