Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000011 (code=1) when running the App in Samsung phones with Android Gingerbread and JellyBean

April 3, 2013 - 6:03am #1

We are facing theabove mentioned issue whenever we are trying to run our app on Samsung Note II(JellyBean) and Galaxy S(GingerBread) .

We are making the .dat file with 5 images. It works fine till the 3rd image and crashes just after , gives this Fatal signal 11 error.

But the same app runs fine in the Sony Xperia U(Ice Cream Sandwich), without any error.

The application even runs fine on the Samsung Note II and Galaxy S , if the .dat contains only 3 images.It detects the 3 images perfectly.

Is this the issue with the phone memory management? or some isue with Android Version?

So,please suggest us how to resolve this problem..

Thanks in advance:)

Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000011 (code=1) when running th

September 19, 2013 - 5:27pm #18

okay, great thx

September 18, 2013 - 11:54pm #17

If you change dataset outside the QCAR_onUpdate callback, then you can incur in threading issues, thats why it is recommended to use that; however, if you need to operate in an async way (as it take long otherwise), you can probably perform the loading asynchronously, but the Activate/Deactivate operations should still be performed in the QCAR_onUpdate(); then you'll also need to implement some threading synchronization policy to make sure to perform the Activate/Deactivate at the right time (i.e.e when loading is done).

Concerning your second issue, if you have recently created a new dataset using the current Target Manager, you will not be able to use it with 1.5.9, as this has been deprecated; you will need to upgrade to the latest version of the SDK (2.6).

September 18, 2013 - 5:43pm #16

thx, man

yes, we tried to do the swap during UpdateCallback as recommended, but found it's quite time consuming, 

it would take 10s or more when dataset contains 20 targets.

so we modified the function loaddataset(), we swap the data manually there,

then we got this problem on sumsung devices: it crashes after swapping datasets several times.

and the error i got yesterday is differrent, it crashes when load the dataset first time.

the same project as several months ago, so only different .zip could cause this error, i checked the .json .xml file

the data and the data format is okay, the only file i am not sure not is the .dat file in the .zip file.

could there be any difference in .dat file could lead to this crash? i am using version 1.5.9. thx again.

September 18, 2013 - 2:59am #15

Hi, the order of appearance of the "size" and "name" attributes in  the XML is not relevant (and indeed, this is also confirmed by your tests, where manually changing the order in the XML file does not resolve your crash).

I wonder if you are swapping the datasets using the QCAR_onUpdate() callback, as illustrated in our Image Targets sample (swapping Tarmac with ChipsAndStones); could you verify that ?

September 18, 2013 - 2:48am #14

April 5, 2013 - 8:02am #13

I see that you are saying; but I believe and expect that if you increase the rating so to be grater than zero on all targets, the issue should then disappear also on all devices.

April 4, 2013 - 10:10pm #12

Hey thanks for the reply.. But what I'm wondering is , the same images are detected when we load only 3 images in the dataset. and all these 5 images together in one dataset works very well in sony xperia and samsung fit  with 3.5 inch screen android phones.

Anywayz will try increasing the quality and load the images.

Thanks in advance

April 4, 2013 - 6:44am #11

Ok, I processed the images with the Target Manager and I got a rating of "zero stars" for 3 of them, and just "1 star" for one of them;

basically, this is saying that you should not use those targets as they are, but you should first improve their rating (as a minimum you should aim for 1 or 2 stars rating on each of them).

The problem with such a low-rated targets is that, even if you did not get a crash, you would experience very poor and unstable detection and tracking performance.

I would suggest to have a look at this articles about Image targets rating:

https://developer.vuforia.com/resources/dev-guide/image-targets

https://developer.vuforia.com/resources/dev-guide/natural-features-and-rating

April 4, 2013 - 6:27am #10

Got it, thanks. Will take a look.

April 4, 2013 - 5:53am #9

Hey I have sent you the links for images through PM.  Thanks:)

April 4, 2013 - 5:18am #8

Hi, could you send me your images via PM (with a link to a dropbox or similar, from which I can dowanlod the images and try them here) ?

April 4, 2013 - 4:46am #7

Hey we have tried by placing our dataset into the ImageTarget sample app. Even ImageTarget gives the error when it come to the 4th image, we are running this app on the Samsung Note II and as I said earlier ,this app runs successfully in Sony Xperia U with ICS.

April 4, 2013 - 1:33am #6

Ok. So, one thing to try is to take the ImageTargets sample, and copy your dataset into the assets folder;

then in ImageTargets.cpp code, replace the "StonesAndChips.xml" with "YOUR_DATASET_NAME.xml" (in the line dataset->load(...)) and rebuild and run the ImageTargets sample, trying to reproduce the same problem with the 4th target.

In theory, if the problem is caused by the dataset  (and specifically when the 4th target is detected), then you should be able to get the same crash with ImageTargets (this is to exclude that there is any issue with your code, and that the problem is really caused by the dataset with more than 3 targets, so that we can then focus our investigation on the dataset itself).

April 3, 2013 - 10:47pm #5

No, Image Targets works fine on these devices.. Even on those devices our app works fine for 3 images..as soon as it detects the 4th image it gives this error.

April 3, 2013 - 10:41pm #4

Ok, thanks for the info; I understand it is very similar, but does the ImageTargets sample shows the same problem on those devices ?

April 3, 2013 - 9:19pm #3

Our App is very much similar to the Image Targets app. In our App we displays some information about the image instead of a teapot like in ImageTarget App.

April 3, 2013 - 6:23am #2

Hi,

can you give a bit of context about what your Application does ?

(I presume there are some differences between the ImageTarget sample App and your App which might also play a role in this issue...)