I've been experimenting with Vuforia for my graduation project for a few months now and I'm quite impressed! The tracking works really well and the community is really eager to help. I'm using Unity3D because of the intuitive workflow
I have read quite some threads on the forum and asked a few questions already. Now I thought it was time to open a thread to describe the challenge that I have. It could very well be that some of these questions have already been asked.
Basically I want to combine the functionality of the User-Defined Targets sample app and the Cloud Recognition sample app. This is a description of the user experience:
- The user scans an image, the app uses Cloud Recognition to find the target.
- If the image is not recognized, so isn't an ImageTarget, the user can choose to add the Image, similar to the User-Defined Targets sample app. However, the image needs to be uploaded to the Cloud database instead. That way the other users can track this image as well and the targets will not be lost after closing the app. NalinS already told me this is possible by uploading the image to my own server, and uploading it to the Vuforia Cloud using VWS API. I also know that this process can take 15-30 minutes.
- After adding the target, the user can provide text, which is stored in an external database which other users can add as well.
- If the image is recognized by Cloud Recognition, the ID of the target is sent to the server, which reads the texts of all the users. These texts are then used to create the augmentation layer
I have little experience with server-side programming, so I'm not really sure on where to begin with this project. A few questions that come to mind:
- Is there anything in this workflow that is not possible? Or am I perhaps forgetting important parts?
- Do you know of an app who use this workflow of letting users add ImageTargets to the Cloud database? Or are there perhaps tutorials or samples that I should see?
- Are there any useful, simple services to temporarily store the images and the database of augmentation texts? I've seen smartfoxserver, but thought that might be an overkill.
- The Java examples to access the VWS API look interesting. How can you run these on a server though?
I really hope you can help me with this project. I will add extra information along the way.