iPad Air camera stopped working after iPad Pro 10.5 fix

July 25, 2017 - 8:14am #1

Hi there,

I'm using Image Targets for a iOS App and ran into issues two weeks ago when using the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro. Others had the same issue and it has been resolved now, as mentioned in this thread:

https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/device-support/new-ipad-pro-105-black-screen-rear-camera

Now I'm running into the same issues on my iPad Air though. I'm using the exact same build as I was using on July 12th, when it was working fine on the Air but black on the Pro. The iPad Pro got fixed by reinstalling that build today but the Air stopped showing the camera. The screen is not black but gray/blue and the front camera also doesn't work (it did on the Pro last time), but I still feel like that fix broke the iPad Air support.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Thomas

September 19, 2018 - 2:37am #7

Hello Vuforia

Did you solve this issue already?

August 31, 2017 - 7:55am #6

Ok after looking into it a bunch more I could isolate the cause and reproduce it with the sample project. It seems to be related to Antialiasing.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

• download the Unity Core Samples 6.2.10
  • create a new iOS Unity Project
  • import the ImageTargets unitypackage
  • set the Vuforia License Key
  • in the Quality Settings set Antialiasing to 2x MSAA
  • add the Vuforia-3-ImageTargets Scene to the build and set the project bundle identifier
  • Run the app on device

This just shows a blank screen on an iPad Air but runs fine on the iPhone 7.

Here is all the Software I'm using to reproduce:

• Unity 5.6.2f1
  • XCode 8.3.3
  • iPad Air iOS 10.0
  • iPhone 7 iOS 10.3.3

I hope you can also reproduce the issue with these steps. For now I just run without AA.

Regards,

Thomas

August 30, 2017 - 2:37pm #5

We did not change anything related to this device during that time frame.

Do you only experience the crash when using MODE_OPTIMIZE_QUALITY, or do you see it with default and speed as well? If you are able to isolate the problem in any way that would help diagnose the issue. Are you still unable to recreate this issue in a new project or in our sample project?

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

August 30, 2017 - 2:47am #4

Is there any way you can help me out with my situation?

Did you change anything on your site around that timeframe that could be related in any way?

Thanks for your help.

July 26, 2017 - 1:55am #3

Thanks for your quick reply Strasza.

Some quick info about my app: I start in a non AR Scene and launch a Vuforia Scene from there. I'm using Vuforia Unity 6.2.10, Unity 5.6.2f1 and camera mode MODE_OPTIMIZE_QUALITY. I also tested it on iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad Pro 12.9 (first gen) and everything works fine on these devices. Just the iPad Air and Air 2 show this behaviour. Again, the exact same build (IPA-file created on July 12th) was working fine on the Air and now stopped working.

When my first Scene launches I get the following logs after Vuforia Initializing:

DEBUG/AR(551) UIView has CAMetalLayer layer class

DEBUG/AR(551) UIView does not respond to selector renderFrameVuforia

DEBUG/AR(551) UIView has CAMetalLayer layer class

DEBUG/AR(551) UIView does not respond to selector renderFrameVuforia

DEBUG/AR(551) Could not find a UIView with CAEAGLLayer or CAMetalLayer layer class that responds to selector renderFrameVuforia

DEBUG/AR(551) Could not find a UIView with CAEAGLLayer or CAMetalLayer layer class that responds to selector renderFrameVuforia

When I start the AR Scene I get this:

ERROR/AR(551) 2017-07-27 08:42:37: CameraDevice::getCameraCalibration(): Failed to get camera calibration because the camera is not initialized.

ERROR/AR(551) 2017-07-27 08:42:38: VideoBackgroundConfig with screen size of zero received, skipping config step

The tracking does work though, I get the correct Trackable found/lost messages when pointing the camera at the target.

I also tried Delayed Initialization and manually starting Vuforia in OnAwake in my AR Scene but that didn't change it.

Now I tried to change the graphics API. On OpenGLES 3 I get the exact same logs (but with CAEAGLLayer instead of CAMetalLayer) and the screen is now black instead of blue-gray, so that just seems to be a Metal thing.

Next I tried OpenGLES 2 and it works. The camera shows up as normal, I just get some shader errors but I don't see any issues from that.

I would still like to use Metal so this isn't really a fix for me. I hope those infos can point you in the right direction, something must have changed in the last two weeks on your end or else everything should work fine like before.

I tried to replicate the issue in a clean project but I can't. My project is fairly complicated with mixed in VR support and loading of the AR Scenes in AssetBundles from a server. I'm also getting all of the above logs in the clean project.

Thanks

Thomas

July 25, 2017 - 12:01pm #2

Hello Thomas,

The update we made to fix the iPad Pro 10.5 only affects that device and would not cause changes to any other devices. The issue you are describing sounds different from the one experienced on the iPad Pro 10.5 (you're seeing gray/blue instead of black). Are you seeing any error messages in the logs when you see this issue?

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support