Moverio BT-200

May 21, 2014 - 12:10am #1

I'm able to get the Vuforia sample apps running on the Moverio BT-200, but I would like to disable the camera image and only display the AR overlay content. The screens on the glasses are semi-transparent so it is best not to display an image of the real world, which the user can already see. What's the best way to disable the camera image and instead have a black background with RGB intensity set to 0?

Moverio BT-200

February 5, 2018 - 8:37am #12

Hi, 

Now it takes only one click to desable video playback in Moverio BT-300 AR head set in Vuforia Configuration, but can anybody tell me how to do this in Android Studio? I can create the APK in Unity but cannot see anything in the xml to suggest see through transparent style background.

Thanks,

Eoghan

Moverio BT-200

April 13, 2015 - 11:48pm #11

The calibration process, removing of the background and stereoscope are neatly provided by Vuforia. Read this post: 

https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/digital-eyewear/view-not-stereoscopic-videofeed-does-not-fit-see-thr

Moverio BT-200

April 10, 2015 - 4:41am #10
mavasher wrote:

One issue that will be on-going is that the 640x480 camera included with the BT-200 is possibily the worst digital camera I've ever seen. It rivals a 640x480 digital play camera I bought in 1995. It is extremely noisy and the poor resolution speaks for itself. Vuforia still does a phenomenal job of tracking the markers though. 

The camera is by far the most problematic thing of the BT-200 for me. Here's to hoping that they fix that in the BT-300.

This is unfair criticism of the bt200. That camera was meant for environment sensing of which it does a good job. It was not meant to be used like a typical camera like most assume. Think about it. You don't really need a camera in the typical sense like a phone or tablet. You are looking at the real world through the lenses. Why overlay a camera feed to that?

Moverio BT-200

March 5, 2015 - 4:38pm #9

There is no tool in the standard Vuforia SDK to correctly align the views. But alignment is not your major problem. There usually is some misalignment due to the way the BT-200 is manufactured but this is usually a matter of a few degrees and can be readily adjusted by trial and error within Unity. 

The bigger problem that you will have to solve is getting the virtual cameras to correspond with the specifications of the lenses. Specifically, the lenses need to be set to precisely the correct Field-of-View or the objects will not appear where they ought. 

Our company spent multiple days taking measurements and re-measuring to obtain the correct calibration data. "Vuforia for wearables" may have some tool to make this process easier (I don't know Vuforia hasn't approved our application to their closed Beta) but at the end of the day you still have to make careful measurements and test the final results on multiple sets of eyes to make sure you are creating something that is reproducible. 

Make yourself a standard and stick to it. For our system we set a standard of 1 unit = 1 centimeter. Everything had to correspond to this. Our markers were made with this in mind. We placed everything in Unity using this system and we got good results this way. 

Moverio BT-200

March 5, 2015 - 3:09pm #8

I also did the same steps that you have posted (of creating two cameras) and attaching them to ARCamera.

But this does not make the object to be placed correctly on the marker in the user's vision, although it gives stereoscopic vision. You mentioned there is misalignment, how did you solve this problem? I believe there is a procedure called "Hand Eye Calibration" to match the position of virtual graphics with the real marker position, but I do not see that facility in Vuforia SDK.

Please share your insights on this topic.

Moverio BT-200

August 29, 2014 - 10:09am #7

Currently, the 3D content position matches the camera feed. I would like it to match the user vision.

I'm currently working on the same problem. I have had some success. The final result will require some more calibration but the process so far is working well. One of the key problems you are facing in this scenario is stereoscopy. The right and left eyes are simply seeing the real-world objects at a different place through the lenses. This means that the stereoscopy in AR is not a luxury, it is a requirement. To make Unity3D (free version) compatible with Epson's SBS 3D format, I had to manipulate the camera projection matrix so that it compressed the horizontal component without either cropping the horizontal component or also decreasing the vertical component. I set up two virtual cameras in Unity to represent the lenses. They are parented to the Vuforia AR camera object and I disabled the actual camera component on that object, using my two stereoscopic cameras instead. Those virtual cameras have to be displaced as you have already noticed. 

The result is that I have a pretty convincing illusion. There still exists some malalignment which I need to fix but in general the visual effect is pretty amazing. The virtual objects simply exist where they ought to, floating above the marker. 

One issue that will be on-going is that the 640x480 camera included with the BT-200 is possibily the worst digital camera I've ever seen. It rivals a 640x480 digital play camera I bought in 1995. It is extremely noisy and the poor resolution speaks for itself. Vuforia still does a phenomenal job of tracking the markers though. 

The camera is by far the most problematic thing of the BT-200 for me. Here's to hoping that they fix that in the BT-300. 

Moverio BT-200

August 22, 2014 - 7:17pm #6

Here's a script I wrote that will hide the background videofeed. You create a new C# script called "HideARVideoBackGround" then copy the following into it. Attach this to the AR camera. You just click on or off this component in the inspector. 

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class HideARVideoBackGround : MonoBehaviour {

//Simply Check Enable or Disable to Hide/Show the Video Background of the AR camera. 

void OnEnable()
	{
		QCARRenderer.Instance.DrawVideoBackground = false;
	}

void OnDisable()

{
		QCARRenderer.Instance.DrawVideoBackground = true;
	}

}

Moverio BT-200

June 25, 2014 - 11:14am #5

Hello,

I have just started working with the new Epson BT-200, Unity3D and Vuforia and I have already set the environment up and removed the background. My next challenge is to calibrate the system to use it as a see-through. Currently, the 3D content position matches the camera feed. I would like it to match the user vision.

My first approach was to add an offset to the position of the 3D content and try to align it manually. It didnn't work since all camera corrections are referred to the center of the image target.

My second approach was to replicate the ARCamera, disable the Camera script in this object and have my own camera, always with the same position, rotation and fov than the arcamera, but with a manually configurable post-offset. This approach looked a bit more promising, but after a day of work I have discovered that it is also a dead-end (at list without some help).

Any guess on how could I align the content with the user view instead of the camera? I know I should apply some kind of correction, but my computer vision knowledge in this field is limite, so I would appreciate any help to achieve it.

Kind regards,

Aernarion.

PS. I posted this here since I think it is related to the thread topic. Anyway, if you think this is off-topic, I would be glad to create a new one.

Moverio BT-200

May 23, 2014 - 6:07pm #4

Moverio BT-200

May 22, 2014 - 6:37pm #3

Thanks for the link. I am using the Android SDK 2.8.8. Maybe this can only be done with Unity?

I do realize a positioning adjustment will be needed since the video background doesn't directly match the user's vision. I'm hoping the tracking will work well enough though.

Moverio BT-200

May 22, 2014 - 10:58am #2

Which SDK version are you using? For Unity, see: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/faq/unity-how-can-i-disable-camera-video-background-rendering

Keep in mind that the augmentation's registration is going to be incorrect w/o video background rendering.