Topic locked

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini not working with Vuforia 6.2.10

April 20, 2017 - 4:42am #1

Hi,

we have two Apps with Vuforia 6.2.10 and both won´t work with the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini. The camera is initialized, you can see the videostream, but nothing is recognized by the ImageTracker. But the cameraview is slower than in older Vuforia Version (6.0.117) and also the view seems to be "closer" like it were zoomed in or uses a higher resolution as in the older Vuforia Version.

Other devices work in new and old Vuforia Version as expected.

Details:

Devicename: Samsung Galaxy S5 mini

Model-Number: SM-G800F

Android-Version: 6.0.1

First I thought, it may be a problem with the Android-Version, but on Galaxy S7 with Android 6.0.1 the camera and tracking is working fine.

The problem was reproducable on 2 Galaxy S5 mini with Android 6.0.1.

Greetings,

Martin

October 31, 2017 - 12:55pm #17

Hello,

After some additional investigation, we were able to find a fix for this issue. It has been included in 6.5.23 SDK (native)/Unity 2017.2.0.

-Vuforia Support

August 18, 2017 - 4:30pm #16

Hello,

I moved forward with the following changes:

• Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (SM-G800F) running Android 21/22 has been administratively disabled. This will result in a black screen rendered while running Vuforia unless application is updated to catch Vuforia initialization error "INIT_DEVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED".
  • Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (SM-G800F) running Android 23 will work with Vuforia, but with a degraded experience.

The core team will continue to investigate to see if the SDK can robustly handle these types of misbehaving devices.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

August 15, 2017 - 9:31am #15

Hello,

As mentioned, I was unsure if this patch would work on Android 21/22 as it is dependent upon Camera 2 being implemented on that device's version of firmware. Camera 2 support was *introduced* in Android 21, but really didn't start rolling out until Android 23.

Unfortunately, your information indicates that the device patch I deployed does not work for all of this device's versions currently in the market. I had hoped that the patch would at least enable Vuforia AR on this misbehaving device - even with a degraded user experience. This is not the case.

Further, reviewing our reporting data, at least half of the devices currently in the market are running Android 22. Thus, there are two choices:

1. Disable Vuforia on the device until we can find a fix for this kind of misbehaving device. Our APIs will provide a return code to the app layer for this specific failure (i.e. INIT_DEVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED)
  2. Remove the device patch and allow the previous, non-working behavior to continue

My preference is #1, which can easily be rolled back if/when the SDK is fixed. It also allows app devs to provide feeback to the user.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

August 15, 2017 - 6:36am #14

Hi.

We've tested this steps with yours Vuforia sample given here https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/android/samsung-s5-mini-g800f#comment-59782

Now Vuforia sample doesnt work at all, just black screen.

And we've tested this steps with our app - device still doesnt recognize markers.

OS version at our Samsung S5 Mini G800F - Android 21

August 14, 2017 - 3:54pm #13

Hello,

We've identified the issue to be device related. Problem is that Vuforia requests a discrete camera capture resolution from the Camera1 API, but receives 1920x1080 sized frames. This confuses our CV pipeline, making it unable to detect and track targets. We've tried multiple device-specific patches to specify different capture resolutions, but none of them will work on Camera1 due to the aforementioned bug.

We've identified a workaround that utilizes the Camera 2 APIs. The target will now detect and track, but the rendered frame rate is poor at around 10fps. However, due to the popularity of this thread and the Galaxy S5 Mini (SM-G800F) device, I have uploaded a device specific patch that will enable detection and tracking despite the degraded user experience.

The patch will be applied by performing the following:

1. Make sure that the device's Wifi is enabled and can connect to the Internet
  2. Uninstall your app with Vuforia integrated
  3. Reinstall the same app
  4. Start the same app and let it run in idle state for 30 seconds
  5. Stop the same app
  6. Restart the same app

Note that this update will only persist for as long as that version of the app is installed on that device. Reinstallation of the app on the device *may* over-write the patch. If so, you'll then need to redo the provided steps above. Upon startup the SDK will attempt to download the patch and apply it before Vuforia camera start. Whether or not this operation completes before first camera start depends entirely on upon app experience, network connectivity and network latency.

This patch will *only* be applied for the following devices:

• App running Vuforia 6.2 (and later) *AND*
  • Device (SM-G800F) running Android 21 (and later)

Note that this patch is dependent upon the device having a working Camera 2 implementation. I tested this patch on a SM-G800F running Android 23, so I'm unsure if it will also work on the same device running Android 21/22.

We'll continue with our RCA and hope to be able to patch the SDK soon to deal with this type of misbehaving device.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

August 9, 2017 - 12:47pm #12

Hello,

After a failed attempt to procure the correct device, we finally received an SM-G800F running Android 5.5.1. I was able to reproduce the issue where the augmentation fails to appear when running the Vuforia sample app.

Stay tuned for updates as we investigate further.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

July 10, 2017 - 2:16am #11

Another one of our users sent an error report.

The device is an Vodafone Smart Prime 6 LTE (VF-895N) and runs on Android 5.0.2.

The video background is visible, so the camera is working, but the device isn't showing any content just like the S5 mini.

Are there any news on this issue?

July 10, 2017 - 1:18am #10

We are also getting feedback from several Galaxy S5 mini users that say our app does not work on their phones. We tested it and found that the marker recognition is where things seem to fail.

Are there any plans on fixing this? Or could you give us more informations on this matter?

@Medabit: Yes our test device was running on Android 6.

June 14, 2017 - 12:44am #9

Same issue here with the S5 mini and Android 6.0.1.

Debug tells us:

Vuforia is initialized successfully,

OnTrackableStateChanged is NotFound (TrackingLost),

so the app doesn't find the marker.

On other devices (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, Samsung Tab S, HTC One M7, iPhone6, iPad 2) the app works fine and the marker is found.

June 9, 2017 - 12:26pm #8

Hello,

Are the recent errors being reported also on devices running Android 6?

Thanks.

June 8, 2017 - 6:51am #7

same here :(

June 7, 2017 - 7:32am #6

Same problem for me :(

May 10, 2017 - 1:10am #5

Same here.

The current Vuforia Plugin version does not seem to work with the S5 mini but worked with mobiles like Lenovo MotoZ, or Alcatel Idol4 (which are all newer), I wonder if S5 or S4 phones work.

I can also verify that the autofocus fix for the cameras does not solve the problem on the S5 Mini.

May 8, 2017 - 6:01pm #4

Hello,

I was able to procure a similar device, SM-G800A. Specifications between 800A and 800F are basically identical: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=device&s=compare&ids=6606.6033

Unity sample running Vuforia 6.2 SDK worked perfectly.

However, the version I received is running Android 5.1.1 and is not allowing an upgrade via AT&T. For now, this makes the effor to reproduce a dead-end unless I can find a way to upgrade without bricking the device. My last experience using Odin was not a good one.

Thanks.

May 5, 2017 - 2:03am #3

Hi, 

we have the same Problem as Martin with the SM-G800F - and the following lines in the log: 

4-28 12:29:36.198 32249-769/com.sample.vuforia W/libc: It seems that pthread_join() is not invoked or PTHREAD_ATTR_FLAG_DETACHED is not set.

04-28 12:29:36.198 32249-769/com.sample.vuforia W/libc:  pthread tid       : 769

04-28 12:29:36.198 32249-769/com.sample.vuforia W/libc:  pthread start_routine: 0x5ac445ac

Kind regards,

Stefan

April 27, 2017 - 9:28am #2

Hello,

Thanks for the report. We'll investigate.

Thanks.

Topic locked