I can confirm that I have Unity 5 working with Vuforia for Cardboard on Android. I've followed the steps maybe at leat 5 times over the past 2 days (adding Cardboard support to different projects), so definitely if you follow the instructions for Android here very precisely, it should work for you:
Here are the versions of software I am using that are important to keep in mind:
- Unity 5.2.2f1 (this is a actually a more recent version than the 5.1.3p1 recommended in the documentation, but it works perfectly)
- Vuforia SDK 5.0.6 for Unity
- Cardboard SDK for Unity 0.5. Note that this is NOT the latest version. You need the 0.5 version specifically because the instructions call for editing specific lines of code in this version of the Cardboard SDK.
For those having trouble, I really recommend staritng a brand new "Hello World" type project just to confirm that you can get the Vuforia/Cardboard integration working.
I would implement it in a few stages just to verify each step:
- First create a brand new Vuforia project in Unity, just add the ARCamera and a single ImageTarget as a basic test
- Verify that you can build and run the Vuforia app on both your computer and the phone (I've only worked with Android so can't speak to iPhone)
- Now add the Cardboard integration following the steps in the documentation very, very exactly
- Build and run the project to make sure the Cardboard integration is working on the phone.
That's it - at this point I have enough practice running through this process that I can set up a new Vuforia/Cardboard app in Unity in about 5 minutes, so it should definitely be working for people.