Scaling the Samsung Gear with Vuforia 5.0.5

September 14, 2015 - 4:52pm #1

Hey everyone,

I am trying to scale the render texture for vuforia on the samsung gear to make it fullscreen. Previous solutions included changing the "Scene Scale" and FOV parameters, however Vuforia 5.0.5 deprecated the "Scene Scale" parameter in favor of 3rd party SDKs controlling it. 

Attached below is an image (courtsey of user mnaulet) of what the gear looks like right now with vuforia.

I am using the following technology
Unity 4.6.7F1
Vuforia 5.0.5
Oculus 0.5.1

Does anyone have an idea of how I can reduce the black borders in the gear?

Thanks
JaegerBomb

AttachmentSize
Image icon Screenshot_2015-05-13-16-22-37.png548.05 KB

September 15, 2015 - 11:42am #4

The Unity camera  Field of View with GearVR (Oculus SDK) is set to a relatively large value, in the order of nearly  90 - 100 degrees; on the other hand, the camera video background image of Vuforia corresponds to the field of view of the actual device camera, which may vary from one device to another, but usually is in the 55 - 65 degrees range; in any case, smaller than the FoV of the rendering camera.

as such, the camera video background only fills a sub-portion of the entire field of view available; therefore the background image can only cover part of the available screen area; the rest will be covered with black (or whichever color you have set as Background Color for your left and right cameras).

If you were to scale up the camera background image so that it fills the entire screen, you would end up with a magnified camera image, which is roughly same as an artificial "zoom in" effect, that is, the real world image that comes from the device camera would incorrectly appear as represented through a magnifying lense.

However, if you try the AR-VR sample and you move to the VR view, you will see that the VR scene tends to fill the entire screen (except for some minimal borders to allow for lens distortion effect).

September 15, 2015 - 9:36am #3

That helped a little bit, as the screen is larger but there is still a black border, is there anyway to get true fullscreen?

September 15, 2015 - 12:40am #2