Upgrade to 2017.2 with ODG R7 shows split screen instead of stereo render

October 21, 2017 - 7:55pm #1

Hi all,

We are coding on an ODG R7 in Unity, using Vuforia.  The project was started on a Samsung, migrated to Hololens, and is now back on the R7.  Each step of the way it has been upgraded following the steps in Vuforia and/or Unity both for revision and platform.  So far, no issues, until this latest upgrade to 2017.2.

We did perform these steps:

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/migrate-vuforia-62-to-65.html

And the core application is working well, with tracking and all other functions acting correctly.

The issue is that, after upgrade, the view in the ODG looks like a split screen instead of the expected stereo view.  So if you close one eye, you can see a split screen that looks like it is the right and left eyes both displayed in that view.  

We have loaded the sample and followed these steps successfully (i.e. stereo rendering and track):

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/Working-with-Digital-Eyewear-in-Unity#Using-the-Unity-Stereo-Rendering-Sample

And then compared all ARCamera and Build Settings to try and clear this problem, but no luck so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us to try?  I would rather not have to start from an example and bring all our scripts, models, etc into that new project.  This seems like we are just missing a setting somewhere...

Thank you!

October 27, 2017 - 5:05pm #8

The only issue we've seen similar to this is the one related to multithreaded rendering. I'll attempt to reproduce this with migrating a project, but if you find any way to reproduce this with the sample app please let me know.

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

October 23, 2017 - 6:09pm #7

Hello Strasza,

i went thru all the player settings, and also thru the ARCamera and Vuforia setup, but didn't find anything (or if I did, changed it to match the demo).

Attached is a screenshot per your instructions.  The blue outline is an augment around the actual tracker that is being recognized and tracked by Vuforia.  The red and green circles indicate track status.  You can see (I hope) what i mean when i say that the image seems not split between left and right for stereo, but split screen within each eye.  The screencap might not show it, but if I close left eye, i see the idouble image, and if i close the right eye, i also see the double image.  The screen cap seems to show a double image in a left eye and black in the right, but that isn't quite how it looks.

Thank you!

AttachmentSize
Image icon ODG R7 screen capture34.88 KB

October 23, 2017 - 1:40pm #6

Sounds good matterama.

Do you notice any other differences in the scene or project outside of the ARCamera?

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

October 23, 2017 - 11:10am #5

Hi Strasza,

I will be able to get those for you later this afternoon.  I do not see the same behavior with the Stereo Rendering sample, and I have compared all the ARCamera settings (I believe) to match them.  I was wondering if there was a DLL or library/prefab somewhere that has been updated that would have missed an upgrade along the upgrade path...

Thanks!

October 23, 2017 - 10:37am #4

Would you be able to get a screenshot for me that demonstrates your issue?

You should be able to get this with the following adb commands:

adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/screencap.png

adb pull /sdcard/screencap.png

Do you see this same behavior when you pull down a fresh copy of the Stereo Rendering samples? I'm worried that something might've gone wrong in your various migrations.

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

October 23, 2017 - 9:50am #3

Hello Strasza,

I saw that thread previously, and verified that it was disabled (see attached PNG).  So this seems to be a different issue perhaps?  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

AttachmentSize
Image icon 2017-10-23_9-46-18.png23.8 KB

October 23, 2017 - 8:37am #2

Hello matterama,

There is a known issue with Stereo Rendering in Vuforia when used in combination with Multithreaded Rendering. It sounds like this might be the issue you are encountering. Could you try disabling "Multithreaded Rendering" in Player Settings -> Other Settings -> Rendering and let me know if you still see this issue?

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support