Ground Plane doesn't seem to work with android build Unity Engine 2018.2.11f1 using Vuforia 7.5.20

October 8, 2018 - 9:03am #1

My device is Samsung SM N960U (approved for ground plane, but not arcore within Vuforia according to the chart)

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/vuforia-fusion-supported-devices.html

Vuforia Version 7.5.20

My Android studio and Java are up to date (as far as I know)

Build system = Gradle

Run Device = Samsung SM N960U

I'm not a technical person as far as Vuforia as I just started testing it yesterday, but I can't for the life of me get this to work on my Samsung Note 9 phone. Using ARCore it was no problem to get my art onto my device and view it as it found all the surfaces you can place objects in the room as it scanned.

I went through the tutorial on this page:

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/ground-plane-guide.html

I also followed along in this Youtube video up to 9 minutes into the video as the rest gets into other things such as sound and collision for fluff  (only to the point in the video of placing your own piece of art onto the ground plane) I also ignored using the script he adds to stop mulitple spawing by un-clicking "Duplicate Stage" instead of adding the script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6VxnNRFyg

I downloaded the Vuforia Core Sample tools from the Unity App store and set my project to android.

The first thing I need to understand is do I need a cloud subscription or Classic priced version to view my own art pieces on my android device? or will these tools allow me to view my own art on this device. I'm not actually developing an app at this point but rather trying to learn the workflow before I drop money on the tool set. I really just want to get my own art in the viewer to test this.

I have an account set up and so forth and I assume since this is a ground plane it's not needing the cloud to spawn something from images, object and so forth?

The only thing I get is my camera to come up and by hitting my screen I get nothing. I have everything setup according to the instructions but maybe I've missed one check mark on something. I have the necessary parts to make it work in the correct hierarchy as far as I know. (see screen shot)

XR settings --> Vuforia Augmented Reality checked

Other settings --> Minimum API set to Android 7.0 (although I have no idea if this matters as Target is set to Highest installed

ARCore makes you uncheck multithread rendering, but not sure if Vuforia requires this?

The other confusing part since I'm new to getting this deep into unity is what needs to be checked under "Scenes in Build"? just the ground plane since that is what I need to view this?

AttachmentSize
Image icon Screen_Shot_01.jpg656.77 KB

Ground Plane doesn't seem to work with android build Unity Engine 2018.2.11f1 using Vuforia 7.5.20

October 14, 2018 - 1:15pm #6

Regardless here's my art I uploaded using ARCore until this works correctly

https://youtu.be/dk0vntRXvII

October 9, 2018 - 12:06pm #5

I'll give that a try, thanks for help

Went back to arcore for now to view art

October 9, 2018 - 9:44am #4

For information, I managed to get my GroundPlane stuff to kind of work. I still have some bugs (like the FOV of the camera blocked in full zoom-in on the first init...) but at least my object is appearing.

In order to get this, I played with the VuforiaConfiguration, which seemed pretty mixed up avec the update.

I really didn't change much to apparently get it to work...

- cameraDeviceModeSetting: -1 ==> -2

- cameraDirection: 0 ==> 1

- mirrorVideoBackground: 0 ==> 2

- trackingMode: 0 ==> 1

Hope this will help..

Vinny

October 9, 2018 - 8:17am #3

No help yet, it wore me down so I went back to my 3d art until tech guy replies or someone with solution. In meantime I'll just use arcore to display my art on device

October 9, 2018 - 7:45am #2

Hi 3DCGIDUDE !

Did you manage to get your things working ? I posted my problem today, for which I tried to update both Unity and Vuforia. After upgrading, I have exactly the same versions as you mention in your post, and guess what ? My ground plane is no longer working on devices it was working on in the first place...

The message I'm getting in my logcat :

PositionalDeviceTracker has not been Initialized correctly, unable to create anchors

Best regards,

Vinny