Groundplane with Pixel 2 XL (Unity 2017.3.0p2)

January 16, 2018 - 8:51am #1

Hello!

I am trying to set-up the example package of the Groundplane feature on Unity 2017.3.0p2 (latest Patch release with Vuforia 7.0.43) with my Pixel 2 XL.

I have an App License Key set but when I am running the apk, nothing happens, all buttons stay grayed out and no plane seems to be tracked.

Same situation if I try to set-up a fresh project with the Groundplane feature following your guidelines.

Is the Pixel 2 XL among the supported devices? Only the 1st generation Pixel phones are mentioned explicitly on the site but I thought Pixel 2 would be inclded as well?

How can I get your samples running on a Pixel 2?

Best regards,

Aaron

February 1, 2018 - 9:56am #7

Thanks @medabit with Patch 7.0.47 it works right away. Awesome, really glad you rolled out support for Pixel 2 XL that fast now.

January 23, 2018 - 11:30am #6

Hello @Xaxexixoxu, et al,

We just rolled out support for the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL for the Vuforia 7 Model Targets and Ground Plane features.

The device specific patch will be applied after performing the following steps:

1. Make sure that the device's Wifi is enabled and can connect to the Internet
  2. Uninstall your test app with Vuforia integrated
  3. Reinstall the same test app
  4. Start the same test app and let it run in idle state for 30 seconds
  5. Stop the same test app
  6. Restart the same test app

Upon startup the SDK will attempt to download the patch and apply it before Vuforia camera start. Whether or not this operation completes before first camera start depends entirely on upon app experience, network connectivity and network latency.

This patch is only valid for Vuforia 7.0. Note that this update will only persist for as long as that version of the test app is installed on that device. Reinstallation of the app on the device *may* over-write the patch. If so, you'll then need to redo the provided steps above.

These steps will no longer be required after the patch is integrated after our upcoming patch release.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 17, 2018 - 4:07pm #5

Hello @Xaxexixoxu,

Vuforia will support ARCore, but only after it is commercially released. The feature is currently a developer preview, which means that it is not complete and APIs can/will change: https://developers.google.com/ar/discover/

We continue to work internally, and directly with Google, to evaluate the feature in its present state and prepare our SDK to support it.

I would like to point out a couple of important things about Vuforia's current implementation of the Ground Plane feature:

• This is Vuforia's implementation of similar functionality, expanded to many devices not currently supported by ARCore
  • We also improve upon device support by enabling models running Marshmallow - ARCore only supports Nougat and above

We understand the importance of continuing to increase the number of devices supporting the Vuforia Ground Plane feature, and are working hard to roll this out ASAP. This includes the Pixel 2, which is at the top of the list.

Thanks again for your interest in Vuforia.

-Vuforia Support

January 17, 2018 - 1:58am #4

So you are saying Google's flagship device, fully compatible to ARCore is not yet compatible to Vuforia's advanced features but the two year old Pixel is?

January 16, 2018 - 11:51am #3

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback. There are several factors that determine whether or not a device can be supported by the Vuforia SDK for advanced features, such as Ground Plane and Model Targets. These include a number of hardware and software requirements based upon each device's unique specifications.

Vuforia is actively identifying devices that meet these requirements, and continuously updating our supported devices lists with new models as they become available:

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/ground-plane-supported-devices.html

https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/model-target-supported-devices.html

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 16, 2018 - 11:38am #2

It does seem a bit odd that the Pixel is listed in supported devices, and not the Pixel 2, but I am having the same issue. Unable to get ground plane detection working on my Pixel 2. I would assume that support for the Pixel 2 is pending?