How do I use Vuforia with Samsung Tab S4? SM-T830

October 3, 2018 - 8:59am #1

Hello,

I have successfully built an app using Vuforia Ground Plane on iOS. Now I need to adapt it for Android on the SM-T830. I know Vuforia doesn't specifically list this model as supported (although the older model is, oddly) BUT vuforia claims support for ARCore. And ARCore DOES support the SM-T830.

I've tried the setting up my AR camera in vuforia and installed the core-1.3.0.aar in the Plugins-Android folder, set it to Android, and it still won't work.

The app runs but it never detects a surface or allows me to place my objects.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or am I just going to have to start from scratch with ARCore and abandon Vuforia?

April 15, 2019 - 11:52am #10

Hello @fyrebug82,

I answered your other, similar post here: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/device-support/galaxy-tab-s4-ground-plane-not-supported-device#comment-67880

Advanced Vuforia Engine features (Model Targets, Ground Plane) require a device to support ARCore, ARKit and/or Vuforia VISLAM. This topic is partially covered here: https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Training/vuforia-fusion-article.html

If you're able to download ARCore to your SM-T830 device, then it is supported by ARCore. If this is the case, and you're not seeing Ground Plane support, I suggest you try building and deploying our Core samples (from the Asset Store) to the device to see if the behavior is the same. You can also check if ARCore has been enabled via ADB:

$ adb logcat AR:D Unity:D *:S

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

April 13, 2019 - 2:51pm #9

Hello, is there any update on this?

the Galaxy tab S4 SM-T830 is on the ARcore support list, and has a much better camera & cpu so I don't see why vuforia won't support it with ground plane.

is there a way to override the supported devices check? or an explanation as to why it is unsupported?

will vuforia update the support list?

I'm running Unity 2018.3.9f1 (64-bit), vuforia 8.1.7 and I've tried arcore 1.6 and 1.8 within vuforia.

February 19, 2019 - 8:54am #8

Hello @avegh,

The list of Vuforia Engine calibrated devices is a superset of the Vuforia View supported devices. Thus, unless the device is supported by ARCore, if a model is not listed on the Vuforia Fusion supported devices list it will not support Ground Plane on View.

I don't have an explanation for why this device works unless it is identifying itself to our service as a different model number than what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

February 15, 2019 - 1:49pm #7

Hello @avegh,

Let me look into this further to see what I can find out.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

February 15, 2019 - 1:02am #6

Hello, thanks for the quick answer. I have been downloaded the vuforia viewer into my galaxy tab s4(SM-T835). The ground plane finder works correctly. Each application works. 

Could you give me an explanation, why the vuforia viewer(ground plane finder apps) works in my device, but the application built with unity not ?  

thanks in advance

February 14, 2019 - 9:27am #5

Hello @avegh,

I do not see where the SM-T835 is supported by Vuforia Fusion, nor ARCore.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

February 14, 2019 - 5:38am #4

Hi,

I have the same problem. My device is SM-T835. 

Vuforia version: 8.0.10

Unity: 2018.3.0f2

arcore latest version is installed

Vuforia camera is working but the plane finder indicator is missing on the screen and never detects surface. The same with Mid Air.

Is it a bug ?

Thank you

November 9, 2018 - 12:26am #3

Hi,

I wonder if you are free. I would like to ask you about the method of using arcore together with vuforia. My equipment is huawei P20 Pro, which supports arcore

Thanks

November 2, 2018 - 9:12am #2

UPDATE: I can confirm this is now working with Vuforia 7.5.26 and ARCORE 1.5.0.aar!