Can't get a 1080p frame on latest

December 27, 2017 - 1:09pm #1

Vuforia SDK Version: 7.0.36 - Unity -

Description with steps to reproduce: I can't seem to get a 1080p image from the camera in 7.0.36 on an iPhone 8 Plus. Version 6.5.25 works correctly.

1. Import an ARCamera.

2. Attach the CameraImageAccess.cs class found in your library here:
https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/Working-with-the-Camera.html

3. Set quality of camera to MODE_OPTIMIZE_QUALITY

Run on device and look at the log output. You'll see it says 1280x720. Same steps in 6.5.25 results in 1920x1080.

I'm 6 months in programming a project that requires a 1080p image from the camera. Will be very disappointed if this is the new normal and we can't get a high resolution image from the camera in Vuforia 7+.

-

Development OS (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux): 10.13.2 -

Mobile OS and Version: 11.1.2 -

Mobile Device Manufacturer and Model name: iPhone 8 Plus -

Do the Vuforia Sample Applications show the same behavior?: Yes, your sample code in the library exhibits the behavior.

January 5, 2018 - 10:09am #9

Thanks mediabit, I think I will have to switch to another SDK. The problem is I expect this app to have a shelf life of at least 3-4 years. It's too risky to put it all on the line for the 6.5 SDK that won't receive any more updates.

January 5, 2018 - 9:46am #8

Hello,

Thanks for the valuable feedback. It will certainly be considered as we move forward. The "themes" of your requests are well understood within the team and are being actively evaluated.

One question: If you are not interested in the Ground Plane feature (e.g. Vuforia 7.0.X), can you use an older version of Unity? My records show that Unity 2017.2.0p3 was integrated with Vuforia 6.5.25, and should provide the performance set with 1080p camera capture resolution.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 4, 2018 - 3:26pm #7

Sounds like the resolution regression is as intended.  :(  

Unfortunatly, I'll have to admit my use case is not very standard.  I'm doing computer vision on top of Vuforia using OpenCV.  It's a fairly complex motion capture type app. I have to track some very small barcode like markers that are too small/simple for VuMarks to handle while at the same time tracking a Vuforia image target that provides a root ground plane.  I'm choosing Vuforia because it has the best image tracking on the market and the whole app depends on getting a perfect root transform.  The 720p vs 1080p resolution makes a huge difference in the quality of my additional CV tracking I'm doing on top of Vuforia.

I know it's a long shot but here's some possible solutions that would work in my case.

1. Would love some way to revert to previous 6.5 functionality, even if it's buried or hidden in the api.  Maybe I wouldn't get ARKit/ArCore stuff, but that'd be ok.  Something like a third camera device mode called MODE_FORCE_QUALITY that has a warning some things might not work? 

2. Maybe finally open up the tracker and allow us to use our own video stream like some of your competitors.

3. Allow tracking of very small VuMarks even if it effects performance.

Thanks mediabit,  really appreciate you going the extra mile.

January 4, 2018 - 11:42am #6

@dpizzle - Can you provide me with more information about your use case? We'd like to use it as input to the product and engineering teams to help us formulate a solution.

If you don't feel comfortable posting to this thread, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 4, 2018 - 10:03am #5

Hello,

Your theory about Vuforia's support for ARKit being the limiting factor is correct. The ARKit camera limits capture to 720p/60fps, overriding our profile's 1080p performance set (which I confirmed is still present and active). 

I've opened a bug with the software team to explore ways to give developers better control over which camera they want to use (ARKit or Vuforia), but am unclear on the ETA of such a feature. I will continue to monitor and provide updates when they are available.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 3, 2018 - 3:12pm #4

Hello,

I was able to replicate the issue and have escalated to core engineering. I'll post again here when I have an update.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 2, 2018 - 9:12am #3

You didn't happen to check on an actual device did you?  I thought it was a profile issue as well and did these steps before and again just now.  No difference.  I think the 1280x720 resolution is hardcoded into this release (probably for ARKit performance reasons).  I also get the same from an iPhone 6s Plus that also worked fine in 6.5.25.

January 2, 2018 - 8:50am #2

Hello,

I just reviewed our latest calibration profile for this device and have confirmed that it is set to 1080p for camera capture and rendering using MODE_DEFAULT. It just may be that this setting was not yet available in our 7.0.36 SDK release. However, this updated version should currently be available on our servers.

Please follow these steps to verify. Make sure that the device's Wifi is enabled and can connect to the Internet.

1. Uninstall your test app with Vuforia integrated
  2. Reinstall the same test app
  3. Start the same test app and let it run in idle state for 30 seconds
  4. Stop the same test app
  5. Restart the same test app

Upon startup, the SDK will attempt to download the patch and apply it before Vuforia camera start. Whether or not this operation completes before first camera start depends entirely on upon app experience, network connectivity and network latency.

This patch is only valid for Vuforia 7.0.X. Note that this update will only persist for as long as that version of the test app is installed on that device. Reinstallation of the app on the device *may* over-write the patch. If so, you'll then need to redo the provided steps above.

The values on the server should be also be packaged in the next SDK release, so these steps would then be unnecessary.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support