"We offer new support options and therefor the forums are now in read-only mode! Please check out our Support Center for more information." - Vuforia Engine Team

Can't get a 1080p frame on latest

Vuforia SDK Version: 7.0.36 - Unity - Description with steps to reproduce: I can't seem to get a 1080p image from the camera in 7.0.36 on an iPhone 8 Plus. Version 6.5.25 works correctly. 1. Import an ARCamera. 2. Attach the CameraImageAccess.cs class found in your library here: https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/Working-with-the-Camera.html 3. Set quality of camera to MODE_OPTIMIZE_QUALITY Run on device and look at the log output. You'll see it says 1280x720. Same steps in 6.5.25 results in 1920x1080. I'm 6 months in programming a project that requires a 1080p image from the camera. Will be very disappointed if this is the new normal and we can't get a high resolution image from the camera in Vuforia 7+. - Development OS (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux): 10.13.2 - Mobile OS and Version: 11.1.2 - Mobile Device Manufacturer and Model name: iPhone 8 Plus - Do the Vuforia Sample Applications show the same behavior?: Yes, your sample code in the library exhibits the behavior.

You didn't happen to check on an actual device did you?  I thought it was a profile issue as well and did these steps before and again just now.  No difference.  I think the 1280x720 resolution is hardcoded into this release (probably for ARKit performance reasons).

Hello,

I was able to replicate the issue and have escalated to core engineering. I'll post again here when I have an update.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

Hello,

Your theory about Vuforia's support for ARKit being the limiting factor is correct. The ARKit camera limits capture to 720p/60fps, overriding our profile's 1080p performance set (which I confirmed is still present and active). 

@dpizzle - Can you provide me with more information about your use case? We'd like to use it as input to the product and engineering teams to help us formulate a solution.

If you don't feel comfortable posting to this thread, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

Hello,

Thanks for the valuable feedback. It will certainly be considered as we move forward. The "themes" of your requests are well understood within the team and are being actively evaluated.

Thanks mediabit, I think I will have to switch to another SDK. The problem is I expect this app to have a shelf life of at least 3-4 years. It's too risky to put it all on the line for the 6.5 SDK that won't receive any more updates.