Topic locked

Licence confusion

November 29, 2021 - 3:59am #1

Situation:

We need to update an app that was developed about 2 years ago using Vuforia engine 8.3.8.

The licence we used was not free, but i can't remember its exact name, in the licence backend it's listed as "Basic (legacy)"

We use image targets and VuMarks only.

 

Now i created a new Basic licence, and created new marker databases, and updated the licence key in the (Unity) app.

This works, but the app shows the Vuforia watermark.

 

Questions:

1) is the Basic licence free? According to https://www.ptc.com/en/products/vuforia/vuforia-engine/pricing it is.

But e.g. in this post https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/license-manager/i-cant-buy-basic-license it's talked about "buying a Basic licence".

2) Does the Basic version always show a watermark? There are some pages that state that the watermark is only displayed when using area or model targets. But our app and some posts in this forum say otherwise.

 

Thanks for any clarifications.

 

 

 

Licence confusion

November 30, 2021 - 11:39am #2

Hello,

Basic (Legacy) licenses will continue to work with newer versions of Engine SDK. Due to the updated licensing for Engine, legacy licenses will no longer be subject to subscription fees.

For VuMark usage, one caveat of upgrading to a new Basic License is that this will change how VuMark instances are generated. To make VuMarks unique across multiple device databases, the visual encoding of the VuMark bits are 'scrambled' by the license key. Thus, using the same VuMark template with different license keys will create VuMark instances that are unrecognizable to each other.

Thus, if you are looking to upgrade the version of Vuforia Engine SDK to use an existing VuMark device database, DO NOT change the license key associated with VuMark instance database. This only applies if you have VuMark instances generated by the previous, Basic (Legacy) license.

Correction: VuMark bits are 'scrambled' by the target's UUID, assigned when the VuMark template is uploaded to the Target Manager. This makes VuMark instances from different Target Manager Databases unique to one-another. Thus, using the same VuMark template in different Target Manager Databases will create instances that are NOT recognizable to each other.

The use case here (as I understand it) is how to take an existing VuMark Database in the Target Manager, associated with an expired legacy Basic license, and re-associate it with a new Basic license. I'll work with the portal team to review and will post back to this thread.

intalogy wrote:

Now i created a new Basic licence, and created new marker databases, and updated the licence key in the (Unity) app.

This works, but the app shows the Vuforia watermark.

The watermark is showing because you are still using an older version of Engine SDK. In order for the watermark to disappear, you must upgrade to the latest version of Engine SDK as this is where the rendering logic resides.

intalogy wrote:

1) is the Basic licence free? According to https://www.ptc.com/en/products/vuforia/vuforia-engine/pricing it is.

But e.g. in this post https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/license-manager/i-cant-buy-basic-license it's talked about "buying a Basic licence".

Basic licenses are now free: https://library.vuforia.com/faqs/pricing-and-licensing-options. That post is from a time before we updated our licensing changes.

intalogy wrote:

2) Does the Basic version always show a watermark? There are some pages that state that the watermark is only displayed when using area or model targets. But our app and some posts in this forum say otherwise.

With the new Basic license, the watermark will only appear for Advanced Features like Area Targets and Model Targets.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

 

Topic locked