Model size is reduced by 100 times

February 22, 2019 - 12:35am #1

I use 3d max to build a model. The format of the model is FBX.When I import the model into the MTG, the model size is reduced by a factor of 100. The size of model in the 3ds max  is 0.1*0.1*0.1m , but it changes to 0.001m*0.001m*0.001m in MTG 8.0.10.   Can anybody help me?

Model size is reduced by 100 times

February 22, 2019 - 2:05pm #2

Hello,

When the MTG loads a 3D model for the first time, it receives a size from the model mesh (in this example "240 units"). The MTG does not know yet whether a unit is a meter, centimeter, etc. Thus, the MTG, by default, assumes that 1 unit is equal to 1 meter. So, in our example the model of 240 units in size is initially interpreted as 240 meters.

However, assume that the user knows the CAD model was created in centimeters (or maybe they do not know, but they know that the physical object is definitely not 240 meters). Therefore, the MTG provides the option to reconfigure the units to be centimeters, millimeters, etc. In our example, the MTG will recalculate the size from 240 m to 240 cm, but it will still display the size in meters (2.40 m) as this is the size constrained by the Model Targets feature.

https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/model-target-generator-user-guide.html

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support