Model Targets in Unity 2017.3 Vuforia 7.0.36

January 3, 2018 - 2:28pm #1

I'm at a loss as to why my model target is not tracking. As you can see from the image, I successfully have Vuforia 7.0.36 running. The database is correctly loaded. I have tried with several different printed 3D models. I get the same non-result when building to Android APK or Vuforia play mode via my PC webcam. I also see no console errors.

What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Sample.jpg151.99 KB

March 2, 2018 - 2:27pm #26

PravenPJ wrote:

Hi,

I facing one issue

I trying to make Vuforia Model target for IOS .

That application i made in windows ios platform and its working properly in editor mode without error.

But when i open same project in IOS Unity (I tried  Unity 2017.3.1f1,2017.3.1p2, 2017.3.1p1, 2018.1.0b9) all showing this error when i put my vuforia model target.

sample2 is my model target name

Failed to load data set sample2.

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)

Vuforia.DatabaseLoadARController:LoadDatasets()

Vuforia.VuforiaARController:Start()

System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[])

Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[])

Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action)

Vuforia.VuforiaBehaviour:Start()

if i open  2017.3.0f3 this error will not come.

This version unity default model target with build working on ipad.

But,

When i  add new model target , build will happening but after build camera is not working.

After unity splash screen logo its showing black screen and app going close

i have attache 2 screen shot .this app is crashing from this point with this message.

https://i.imgur.com/s0LJGjG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SPDlcyd.jpg

I tried with new license also,but same problem is happening.

Are you trying to load and activate two Model Target datasets at the same time?

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

March 1, 2018 - 2:52am #25

Hi,

I facing one issue

I trying to make Vuforia Model target for IOS .

That application i made in windows ios platform and its working properly in editor mode without error.

But when i open same project in IOS Unity (I tried  Unity 2017.3.1f1,2017.3.1p2, 2017.3.1p1, 2018.1.0b9) all showing this error when i put my vuforia model target.

sample2 is my model target name

Failed to load data set sample2.

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)

Vuforia.DatabaseLoadARController:LoadDatasets()

Vuforia.VuforiaARController:Start()

System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[])

Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[])

Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action)

Vuforia.VuforiaBehaviour:Start()

if i open  2017.3.0f3 this error will not come.

This version unity default model target with build working on ipad.

But,

When i  add new model target , build will happening but after build camera is not working.

After unity splash screen logo its showing black screen and app going close

i have attache 2 screen shot .this app is crashing from this point with this message.

https://i.imgur.com/s0LJGjG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SPDlcyd.jpg

I tried with new license also,but same problem is happening.

AttachmentSize
Package icon Screenshot (287).zip3.4 MB

February 26, 2018 - 11:21am #24

reenagamre wrote:

Hello

I have used older model taget generator and unitypackage for model tracking.

Now i am not able to tracker object using unity2017

Which version were you using before and which version are you using now?

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

February 26, 2018 - 12:59am #23

Hello

I have used older model taget generator and unitypackage for model tracking.

Now i am not able to tracker object using unity2017

January 28, 2018 - 2:08am #22

Hi,

I m using unity latest version 2017.3 and 2017.3.p2.

In both unity after applying Vuforia license key.I can't play unity .If i press Play button unity will crash.

Vuforia Unity Applications crash after applying license key

any Idea?

January 26, 2018 - 4:19am #21

ablerex358 wrote:

Curious, 

I got something own recognized by using .OBJ-file format in the model target generator, unfortunately something else came up to take my time now.

But hope this helps you guys... 

...the graphics is still miss-aligned to the model. The object was 3D-printed somewhat smaller than the .OBJ-file and I am compensating this in the model-target game-object. Still the raider is detected when it is further away than the target image would make you think. About when it fits between the "fork-spikes" of the 2D target image.

this is false positive, remove the object from the top of the keyboard and try to detect in an empty place, it will not work

January 22, 2018 - 3:51pm #20

Cedro, could you share a screenshot of your scene and the settings of your Model Target object?

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 22, 2018 - 12:15pm #19

same problem here, if you find any solution please comment here

January 22, 2018 - 9:41am #18

To be clear, The GIf was of the working "test" app not my failed Unity build. 

The "test" app does track correctly. If I try and rebuild the same app from scratch including the use of the model target generator I get no tracking and no errors along the way.

ablerex358, are you building the app yourself or using the Vuforia provided material?

January 22, 2018 - 3:10am #17

Weird, how it looks like the guide image snaps onto the target and stays aligned as you still rotate the phone (it should't be that smart unless it has detected something?). It is as if there is no extra graphics to display when getting a hit and somehow a wireframe-3D model is superimposed on the camera image.

(Also I had no trouble getting my monocolor 3D printed lander recognized (printed with white filament).)

(Also my keyboard is detected as cylon raider even without the model on it).

AttachmentSize
Image icon lander.gif4.1 MB

January 17, 2018 - 4:10pm #16

I went ahead and printed the lunar lander. Model tracking works fine with the Vuforia test app. If I try to build the same Unity scene myself, tracking fails. No errors along the way.

AttachmentSize
Image icon 2018-01-17_16-00-11.gif14.31 MB

January 12, 2018 - 9:35am #15

ablerex358 wrote:

Curious, 

I got something own recognized by using .OBJ-file format in the model target generator, unfortunately something else came up to take my time now.

...the graphics is still miss-aligned to the model. The object was 3D-printed somewhat smaller than the .OBJ-file and I am compensating this in the model-target game-object. Still the raider is detected when it is further away than the target image would make you think. About when it fits between the "fork-spikes" of the 2D target image.

This picture looks like you may have received a false-positive on the detection. Your model has very low geometry with most of it being very curved while also having no texturing (usually the case with 3D prints). This is going to be a difficult model to track due to these issues, especially when you are placing it on top of so much clutter (the cables and keyboard). A 3D printed object that is mono-colored is going to need sufficient geometry, such as the viking lander, to successfully be detected.

You might have more success with detecting this if you place it off of the keyboard, but as mentioned above, the model overall will likely have difficulty being detected. Refer to this document for more details on the types of models that are supported: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/model-targets-user-guide.html

Also, the file format does not affect the detection or performance of Model Targets. The .pvz file format is common among the CAD community, but we've had no difficulty with using common Unity formats such as .fbx and .obj.

@cedro I believe medabit passed your model along to be looked at. We'll update you hear when we know more.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 12, 2018 - 2:34am #14

Curious, 

AttachmentSize
Image icon Raider_detected.jpg250.43 KB

January 11, 2018 - 11:22pm #13

I can get the Viking Lander to be detected quite reliably with two ways:

1. By making no changes to the default project from Asset Store
  2. By making a new Model target from the Viking-lander 3D file Vuforia_ModelTarget.pvz (a really strange format choice) with the Vuforia Model Target Generator and exporting the .unitypackage into Unity. Also using quite new license string and making sure everything is loaded from model-target settings and from Vuforia settings from ARCamera)

So, the problems start when trying to get any other 3D printed objects (.stl-files) to be detected by using the identical workflow to (2). With no errors nothing is recognized either on Lenovo Tango(Android) or on iPhone 7. Actually once for very brief moment something (Cylon Raider model) was recognized on iPhone but the extra graphics was displayed very close to the phone(should have used git there). Once I moved the graphics a little nothing was recognized again (Humpty Dumpty-code-story, also checked from xcode log).

The aiming images everything looks good, no errors in logs. Just seems like the recognition does not work, except in some special cases. I am almost out of the 10 tries (why is this limit even there when it is not at all robust? Is it there to make debug more difficult?).

Why on Earth does the example use .pvz file format? Does it help somehow? Is it because the Model Generator only works correctly with .pvz files? How about a working example with the most common formats, like .stl (3D prints usually in this format) or .fbx (Propably Unitys most used format) ?

AttachmentSize
Image icon raider-detection.png161.42 KB

January 11, 2018 - 10:02am #12

Nope. More or less abandoned until I get some feedback from the support. I see a lot of other failure reports online. 

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/vuforia-model-targets-107218

January 11, 2018 - 3:03am #11

Did you manage to get this working?

January 9, 2018 - 9:22am #10

Hello, 

I sent the model to Strasza a few days ago via PM. Google drive link.

I'll now send it to you also.

Thanks,

January 9, 2018 - 8:32am #9

Hello @cedro,

Would it be possible for you to share your 3D model with us for further evaluation? If you are not comfortable with sharing it publicly (e.g. attaching to this forum thread), please reach out to either myself (@medabit) or @Strasza via PM with a link to download the model.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 5, 2018 - 11:40am #8

Hello Strasza,

Here are a few PNG samples images created with the "data set". 

The printed castle model is 83cm tall. All of these were created with that in mind. 

I suppose I could paint the printed model then project a photo back on to the 3D model. A lot of work. I see that the Lunar Lander sample is gray shade.

Welcome any ideas.

Thanks,

AttachmentSize
Image icon Sample5.jpg224.86 KB

January 5, 2018 - 10:21am #7

Hi Cedro,

Could you share with me some of the guide views you have tried as well as the device models you have tested this with? The screenshot you initially shared has the width at 8m, is this accurate?

Also, is it at all possible to add any sort of texture differences to the model? While a single color model can work, texture differences are also used in the MT detection and will generally improve the perform of the feature.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support

January 5, 2018 - 9:49am #6

Nope. I've been hacking on this for 3 days. Not once have I received any tracking feedback from my compiled unity apps, Unity editor via webcam, or the model targets test app. I get no errors at all. I've tried with several different 3d printed models. I suspect some sort of image distortion but that's outside my skills to debug. I'm out of ideas.

I will mention that image targets work just fine.

Honestly, I downloaded the Wikitude demo this morning. Thought I might give that a try.

January 5, 2018 - 12:54am #5

Hello,

Did you manage to get this working?

January 4, 2018 - 5:19pm #4

Continuing to try and make this work.

I've rebuilt the model as a nice clean quad model. Still can't get tracking to register. 

Downloaded the "Model Targets Test App" loaded my dat and xml. this also does not work.

I'm starting to think the guideview image is distorted. I can never find the exact matching position. Perhaps the image is stretched horizontally.

I'm testing on Pixel XL V1

January 3, 2018 - 4:52pm #3

Thank you for the suggestions.

1. I've confirmed that the physical and 3d scales match.

2. I have a detailed model as shown in the attached image.

3. This model is an airtight shell for 3d printing. No inner volume.

4. No transparent geometry.

5. No textures associated with the model

6. Polygon reduction was performed but as you can see from the image, significant detail still exists 

7. Tried a few different guideviews without success.

I'm blowing through the 10 dev model targets just testing different options. How do I delete an unsuccessful model target? 

I think I'll try printing the lunar lander model used in the demo project. Does this exist somewhere in a more normal 3D format? FBX. STL. OBJ? 

Thanks,

AttachmentSize
Image icon Sample4.jpg995.73 KB

January 3, 2018 - 3:19pm #2

Hello cedro,

There are a handful of actions you can take to improve the detection of you CAD model when using the Model Targets Feature:

1. Correct scale of the model is important for detection and tracking. Confirm that the scale of your CAD model is an accurate representation of your physical model. We also recommend using meters as your unit of measurement.
  2. A more detailed model should provide a better tracking experience. While higher poly counts can work, we recommend keeping the count below 100k for best performance.
  3. Which elements to remove from your 3d model may depend upon the experience you're trying to create. For example, if you want to detect a car from an exterior vantage point, then the interior elements are not going to provide benefit to detection and tracking and as such you can consider removing them.
  4. Remove transparent geometry from you CAD data. For example, if you are trying to detect a car, it is recommended that you do not include any of the windows or lights in the CAD model that will be used for the Model Targets dataset.
  5. Include texture differences in your CAD model. Using the car example again, if the car has a decal painted on it or has a segment, such as the hood, that is a different color from the rest of the model, make sure that is included in your CAD model. This difference in texture will be used in the detection of the target, although it is difficult to quantify how much this can improve performance. Please note, the specific color is not relevant in this instance, just the differences in colors.
  6. Simplification tools, such as Simplygon, are able to process logos and transform them into geometry (edges). However, if you used Blender for simplification, it may destroy this info.
  7. Try a different guideview for your target. If the guideview you are using doesn't contain enough of the geometry of your target, you may encounter issues detecting it. Often times a slightly angled view of the target will provide better results than a direct front view of the target.

Thanks,

Vuforia Support