I'm facing gyro instability on android devices since upgrading unity3d and vuforia.
I made a sample clean project to demonstrate the issue.
project can be downloaded here
It was created and tested with 4.3.2f1 Unity pro version.
here are steps to reproduce
- create empty unity project
- switch to Android and set bundle id in player settings
- add to scene script to print gyro attitude values x,y,z in GUI
- import latest Vuforia unity package from here
I tested version 2.8.7
- build the app to android phone and rotate with phone in hand in upright position (I tested and saw the issue on HTC One S 4.1.1 and Samsung Galaxy 4 mini 4.2)
- see the gyro.y values are correctly going from aprox 0.7 to -0.7 smoothly around full 360 deg rotation.
- Go again to project and attach script QCARBehaviour to camera object, let it with default values
- repeat steps above
- see the gyro.y values are incorrectly presented in some parts for me y value goes from somewhere from 0.4 down to -0.2 in just like 5Degree left rotation. Sometimes works better sometimes worse but it is definitely much more unstable.
- just one more curiosity if you let QCARBehaviour script attached to camera but uncheck it to inactivate it, then when you run app some gyro axis are swapped. But this is side issue and I did not investigate this.