Increased Jitter with Vuforia 2.8.7

January 20, 2014 - 7:16am #1

We have noticed increased jitter with Vuforia 2.8.7 versus Vuforia 2.6.7.

I posted a video comparision using one of our image targets we are using that ranks 5 stars.

The video link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfouj_iLWQ

The comparision was done with a clean install of each library into Unity 4.3 on a MacBook Pro.

Extended tracking was not activated on the 2.8.7 image target.

Was there a built-in filtering in 2.6.7 that has been removed?

Is there something about this setup or image target that would explain the increased jitter?

January 21, 2014 - 10:10am #7

Ok. Happy to hear that with the full quality printed target things work much better.

We will keep doing some tests to see whether there is an actual discrepancy between the 2 versions, but so far we have not found evidence of this (under the condition that the target is printed in full quality).

I will update if we have any findings from our observations.

Thanks again for your report.

January 21, 2014 - 9:29am #6

We added the FOCUS_MODE_CONTINUOUSAUTO setting and did not see a significant difference.

We switched to using a full quality printout of the marker.

The full quality marker gave signficantly better results and should work for this project.

In the past using a draft greyscale printout for testing hasn't caused any significant tracking problems.

Why the results are better with Vuforia 2.6.7 is not clear at this time.

January 21, 2014 - 3:14am #5

Thanks for the update (and the Image, which I got from your PM).

Could you re-do the tests by making sure you have continuous autofocus enabled ?

We are making tests here, but we have not observed such difference so far in our tests (i.e. both versions 2.6 and 2.8 seem to have the same behaviour, sometimes both showing some jitter, sometimes both appearing very stable; this may also depend on lighting conditions).

Note: to enable continuous autofocus in your app, you can use this code:

CameraDevice.Instance.SetFocusMode(CameraDevice.FocusMode.FOCUS_MODE_CONTINUOUSAUTO

Just want to make sure that the image is well-focussed, before assessing jitter, on both versions.

January 20, 2014 - 2:12pm #4

We see the same jitter on iOS and Android.

The jitter motivated us to make the comparison.

I cannot attach the image target here due to NDA, but will provide it via PM.

I ran the same comparison with the "Stones" target and added that comparison in a new video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPUd6EVOcM

The jitter is not a severe as with our custom target, but I would still characterize is as less stable.

January 20, 2014 - 7:58am #3

Also, it would be great if you could send me your test image target as well, so that we can reproduce the jitter in the same conditions here...

at the same time, could you also try using a different target, and see if you observe the same issue ?

January 20, 2014 - 7:52am #2

Hi,

thanks for the report, and the video.

It seems the video refers to Unity Play Mode with Web Cam... have you also tried on Device and observed a similar difference in tracking stability ?