I wanted to share a bunch of tips I've compiled about fixing memory crashes and optimizing memory in Unity iOS apps.
We make augmented reality industrial apps with large engineering models, and frequently run up against memory constraints on older iOS hardware (Iphone 4, iPad 2).
I found it extremely difficult to find out how to simply measure memory usage in XCode, let alone find the culprits in Unity. Iterating while doing a Vuforia project can also be painful since you have to either wait for iOS builds or switch platforms.
Here's a summary of the points in the blog article:
- Large image compression using PVRCT
- Measuring real memory usage in XCode
- Memory limits for various iOS devices
- Finding the biggest memory users
- Dynamically loading / unloading objects (prefabs)
Would love to hear tips / corrections from other Unity iOS & Vuforia devolopers.