Unity 4.3.2 and vuforia 2.8.7

January 13, 2014 - 6:52am #1

Hi I had a working unity project and had to upgrade to 4.3 for other functionality not related to vuforia. 

When I upgraded unity it started force closing whenever I tried to load my scene. I thought upgrading vuforia to 2.8.7 might solve this but it hasn't. The only way I can get my scene to run is without QCARBehavior or Default initialization error handler scripts enabled. Please help thanks

January 28, 2014 - 5:17am #11

Hi Stan 

In the end it turned out it was a problem with my authoring/scripting. I.E. on my title screen I had a normal camera and i arranged the code in such a way that this camera would be deleted when the next scene was loaded but another game object would persist in order to keep networking. 

At some point when I upgraded my unity version I lost the last updates I made to the first scene and as a result the initial camera wasn't being deleted between scenes and so there would be the AR camera active in addition to the main camera from the previous scene. (And also unimportantly - a third camera which only displays GUI objects. 

I just redid the changes I made before to make sure the camera was deleted. I think the odds of you having the same problem are slim but...

I hope this helps some how =P 

January 27, 2014 - 11:39pm #10

Hi domwolfydick,

I just experience same thing with black backround on S4 mini 4.2.2 android.

I haven't seen anythign like this before on any other devices.

All scene including vuforia recognition works just fine apart from the camera feed which shows as black.

When I rotate phone it renders few frames from camera correctly like for half a second then it turns black again.

It also does render correctly for short while when touching screen. So if I keep tapping fast on screen I can see camera feed ;o)

So wierd. What did solve your problem maybe it leads me to right direction.

Thanks

Stan

domwolfydick wrote:

Many apologies. This problem was down to my own derpage. I won't go into details because it doesn't involve vuforia. Thanks for your input.

January 17, 2014 - 6:30am #9

No problem. Thanks for the update.

January 17, 2014 - 6:27am #8

Many apologies. This problem was down to my own derpage. I won't go into details because it doesn't involve vuforia. Thanks for your input.

January 17, 2014 - 6:05am #7

As you said in your previous message, the issue does not occur with the Vuforia samples... and it only occur in Landscape on S4.

So, this makes me think that there is some issue at OpenGL level on that device (for example too much texture memory consumed, or similar issue);

have you for example many 3D objects with textures, or maybe a few large textures in your app project ?

I cannot give precise hints here, but I would suggest trying investigating by doing some tests where for example you reduce the amount of assets (3D models, textures, etc.) in your project, to see if the problem disappears at some point;

January 17, 2014 - 5:15am #6

Sorry to bump but I have a large project that's on hold because of this problem. Does nobody have a solution to this or is it just a silly question?

January 14, 2014 - 9:13am #5

Okay now I'm having the black screen problem. works okay in play mode on the editor but on the android device it's all black. You can still see the 3D models and the camera still picks up AR targets, but you can't see what the camera sees. I'v been searching the problem, I read something about changing the OpenGL versioon But I only have ES 2.0 and 3.0 as options. (Tried Both) The device is a samsung galaxy S4. I also have a HTC sensation, on which the app doesn't even start. The HTC is running android 4.0.4 and the S4 us on 4.2.2. 

Edit: I've fiddled with the settings a lot and made it run on the HTC. But now I have the same problem I was having on the S4

Futher Info: This problem does not occur in portrait mode, only in landscape. And the same problem does not occur on the vuforia samples app. Multithreaded Rendering is not enabled, and 32 bit buffering is off. 

January 13, 2014 - 9:54am #4

No need to delete this thread. Just please report back in case you encounter problems again. Otherwise we will consider the issue solved.

January 13, 2014 - 8:38am #3

Hi I tried an empty unity project with only the AR Camera in it and had the same problem. I therefore concluded I should try a different unity version. I've just imported the project into unity 4.3.3 and it doesn't force close now. Too early to say it's without issue. Not sure whether to delete the thread or leave it open in case I have more problems. 

January 13, 2014 - 8:32am #2

Hi,

could you provide more details ?

Have you seen such issue occurring in any of the Vuforia samples ? Have you tried checking the error logs of your project to see what exactly goes wrong, and if there is anything on your application code that may be conflicting with Vuforia ?