Unity 5.3 and Vuforia 5.0.6 error

December 10, 2015 - 10:03am #1

Since the upgrade of unity 5.3 when I load my project with Vuforia 5.0.6 I got this error message and the marker recognition under iOS do not work anymore.

Any fix or I should go back to unity 5.2?

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'Qualcomm.Vuforia.UnityExtensions, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Cecil.DefaultAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Cecil.MetadataResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementForProperty (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementFor (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.Instruction instruction, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.MethodBody methodBody, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition node, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.DoAccept[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition definition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.Accept (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.AssemblyUpdaterStepBase.Apply (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterPipeline.RunUpdateRound (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterPipeline.Run (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.CheckForObsoleteAPIUsage (AssemblyUpdater.Application.CommandLineSpec config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEditor.Scripting.APIUpdaterHelper:DoesAssemblyRequireUpgrade(String)

March 9, 2016 - 10:47am #15

UPDATE: Vuforia 5.5.9 has been released and supports Unity 5.3.2 and 5.3.3:

https://developer.vuforia.com/library/articles/Release_Notes/Vuforia-SDK-Release-Notes

https://developer.vuforia.com/downloads/sdk

Also, make sure to check the Unity Migration Guide before upgrading to Vuforia 5.5:

https://developer.vuforia.com/library/articles/Solution/Migrating-Unity-Projects-to-Vuforia-5-5

December 19, 2015 - 1:14am #14

December 16, 2015 - 12:41am #13

I found a much better approach in this thread.

Again, I will leave it here for clarity:

juliusstopforth wrote:

What worked for me was that I manually added the following compiler directive to the ARCamera's LoadDatabaseBehaviour script under the AddOSSpecificExternalDatasetSearchDirs function:

#if UNITY_IOS

AddExternalDatasetSearchDir(Application.dataPath + "/Raw/QCAR/");

#endif

This is an iOS specific fix that explicitly points to the Streaming Assets folder in the iOS build itself.

My versions & info:

Unity version: 5.3.0f4

Vuforia version: 5.0.6

OSX version: 10.11.2 (El Capitan)

Xcode version: 7.2 (7C68)

iOS device: iPad mini 3

iOS version: 9.1

December 15, 2015 - 12:48am #12

Thank you Alessandro. We will patiently wait for it to be ready. In the meantime, did you detect any other significant issues related to Unity 5.3 compatibility? I mean, any other issues I haven't detected yet in addition to the one I already stated in my previous post.

December 15, 2015 - 12:29am #11

The PostProcessBuildPlayer script needs to be udpated to properly support iOS;

additionally, to properly support Unity 5.3 there are also a few other code changes needed (primarilyin some of the Samples and in the scripts that control the Player Settings for Android and iOS);

a new release with full support for Unity 5.3 is expected soon, but we can't provide an exact timeline at the moment.

December 15, 2015 - 12:02am #10

After diving in the forums for the whole evening, I figured it out. I believe it has something to do with the PostProcessBuildPlayer script not being executed properly and dataset data not being copied to the right folder.

A workaround for this issues was stated in this thread, but I will copy it here for clarity purposes:

MapMan wrote:

You need to go to your projects Build Phases -> Copy Bundle Resources, click the + sign, then click Add Other... and then select folder QCAR located in *ProjectRootPath*/Data/Raw/.

December 14, 2015 - 11:01pm #9

Seriously? O_o'
I obviously know that it is the cause os the error! It is the only thing I know!
I meant what might cause the target not being able to be loaded, and how to fix it until a new version comes available.

December 14, 2015 - 3:30pm #8

alvaroem wrote:

In iOS, the recognition doesn't work properly, and it shows the next message: "Dataset xxx could not be loaded and cannot be activated.".

Yes, the same error occurs in the ImageTargets 5.0.6 sample when compiled using Unity 5.3.0f4 to an iOS device.

Dataset StonesAndChips could not be loaded and cannot be activated.

December 14, 2015 - 1:49pm #7

I understand.

And what about the workaround? Any ideas on what might be happening?

December 14, 2015 - 1:35pm #6

We are working on a version update that will support Unity 5.3, but do not have any specific dates or ETA to share at this time.

December 14, 2015 - 9:15am #5

Hi. I have been using Vuforia on Unity 5.3 and it works like a charm in Android. In iOS, the recognition doesn't work properly, and it shows the next message: "Dataset xxx could not be loaded and cannot be activated.". Our main problem is we are making use of Unity IAP, so we really need to stay on 5.3. or rebuild all the IAP part, and it would take some time that we really don't have.

So, a couple of questions:

- Is there any workaround to temporarily fix this issues while waiting for the next version?

- Any idea on when will the new version be available?

- Any additional info on the causes of this issue?

Thank you!

December 14, 2015 - 12:21am #4

Can you tell us when approximately can we expect Vuforia to support Unity 5.3? End of this month, January, February next year?

December 10, 2015 - 3:15pm #3

Vuforia doesn't support Unity 5.3 yet, but we're working on it. Recommended to stay with Unity 5.2 for now.

December 10, 2015 - 1:02pm #2

Same problem here. Unity 5.3 force-upgraded some of Vuforia's files to work in the project, and now Vuforia won't build for iOS. 

Is there any fix on the horizon or are we all going to be stuck on Unity 5.2 for awhile?