Auto focus doesn't work Vuforia 8.1.7 with Arcore

April 8, 2019 - 5:12am #1

Vuforia Support,

Catch 22! I'm assuming the bug with Vuforia not being to autofocus when Arcore is installed is still a thing in Vuforia 8.1.7? My S8+ used to be able to autofocus before I had to put the arcore 1.4 aar file in the plugins folder to avoid the manifest problem which causes google to reject my apk: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/unity/solved-vuforia-810-and-androidmanifest.

I don't need arcore, all I'm doing is image target recognition and tracking those image targets. I can't even focus on targets that are the size of playing cards 2 inches away in perfect lighting with a S8+ camera now!

How do I completely remove arcore from my project while keeping vuforia 8.1.7 fully capable of tracking an image target and autofocusing the camera and not have it be rejected by google for not having the arcore 1.4 aar file installed in the plugins folder of unity?

If the only solution is to build the unity project in android studio (kind of rough) please provide detailed instructions on how to successfully accomplish this feat with vuforia 8.1.7 begining from unity to finished apk build.

The catch 22 is I cannot autofocus with arcore installed, if I cannot autofocus my app doesn't work, If I don't install arcore then I cannot upload to google play. 

Thanks,

Umar

Cloud production key holder

June 20, 2019 - 3:48pm #9

Hello,

With Vuforia Engine 8.3, we've added a new configuration setting to specify whether ARCore is be required, optional, or not used at all in an Android application. This can be found in the DeviceTracker section of the Vuforia configuration.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

April 11, 2019 - 9:46am #8

Hello,

Thanks for your patience with this issue. We realize it is a challenge to overcome, and apologize for the inconvenience.

I see activity on the ticket to resolve this issue, so I'm hopeful that it will be resolved in our next commercial release.

Keep you posted.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

April 9, 2019 - 10:51am #7

I got it to work-build-publish...it was a pain.

Exported the project from Unity, followed this tut for importing into android studio: https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005695763-Exporting-a-project-to-Gradle-and-building-deploying-on-Android-Studio

up until the step about run configuration.

copied this into the original unmerged manifest xml file:

<meta-data android:name="com.google.ar.core.min_apk_version" android:value="24" />

<meta-data android:name="com.google.ar.core" android:value="optional" />

immediately under the <application opening tag in the manifest.

generated a signed apk. published

vuforia writes arcore stuff into the merged manifest even when built from Android Studio (AS), so it is not only about building with AS! You have to edit the ORIGINAL un-merged manifest file also or Vurfuria puts its own meta tags into the merged manifest file in the build like so:

<meta-data

android:name="com.google.android.gms.version"

android:value="@integer/google_play_services_version" /> <!-- To support the ODG R7 in stereo mode we must add the following library. -->

<UNWANTED VUFORIA GENERATED ARCORE TAGS HERE>

<uses-library

android:name="com.osterhoutgroup.api.ext"

android:required="false" />

This of course cause google to reject the apk because I did not include the aar file in the plugins folder of unity, BECAUSE IT KILLS FOCUSING! Not yelling at you...just venting a bit. All in all I'm good. It just takes extra work now to build and there is no out of the box solution.

I hope this post helps someone.

April 8, 2019 - 8:06pm #6

Did you happen to try that technique from that thread?  I'm curious if Vuforia will override and write tags into a user provided manifest.  If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have to use an Android Studio project or decode/recode the apk.  That wasn't too hard, only took about 20 minutes to figure out and you could batch it for future.

April 8, 2019 - 4:07pm #5

I cannot leave arcore out of the unity project because vuforia writes arcore tags inside the android manifest file inside the apk file,and when you upload to google play google will reject saying Hey where is the arcore library. Thats why vuforia says place the arcore library in the folder, but then vuforia cannot use autofocus anymore with the arcore library there. 

I'm trying to import the unity project into android studio and I'm getting gradle errors.Currently troubleshooting. 

April 8, 2019 - 2:39pm #4

There are some solutions here in regards to the manifest: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/unity/play-store-submission-error-comgooglearcore

Seems like they are aware that editing the manifest might be necessary in this regard.

If you want to explore why the autofocus is not working. Maybe try using a newer version of ARCore, 1.4 is kinda old now.  

But if you don't need any ARCore functionality, you should probably just leave it out.

April 8, 2019 - 8:57am #3

dpizzle wrote:

I was in a similar boat.  I was in a time crunch and just needed to get it up, it'd probably be easier to build a project from Unity instead (i didnt have access to the project at the time).  So this does work, if you'd rather do it this way.

1. Decode the apk with APKTool

2. Edit Manifest to remove arcore

3. Rebuild the apk

4. Resign the apk from the command line

5. zipalign using a value of 4

Vuforia support...what say you? Is this how we are supposed to submit a functional app using Vuforia to the play store?  If so, OMG! Not able to focus is non-functional,IMO. I have access to the Unity project, btw. 

Thanks dpizzle for the reply

April 8, 2019 - 7:54am #2

I was in a similar boat.  I was in a time crunch and just needed to get it up, it'd probably be easier to build a project from Unity instead (i didnt have access to the project at the time).  So this does work, if you'd rather do it this way.

1. Decode the apk with APKTool

2. Edit Manifest to remove arcore

3. Rebuild the apk

4. Resign the apk from the command line

5. zipalign using a value of 4