Legacy Vuforia to 2017.2 Best Practices?

October 4, 2017 - 9:40am #12

Migrating my 5.6.3 Vuforia Unity project to 2017.2 and taking advantage of the integrated Vuforia gives me one of these.

error CS1704: An assembly with the same name `Vuforia.UnityExtensions' has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references or sign the assembly

D:/Programs/Unity 2017 BETA/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/VuforiaSupport/Managed/Runtime/Vuforia.UnityExtensions.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

Assets/Vuforia/Scripts/Internal/Vuforia.UnityExtensions.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

Clearly the solution is to remove the Vuforia plugin, but should that be done before migration? It seems to resist being cleanly removed after migration. I have other unrelated plugins in my Plugins folder so I have been trying to remove all the old Vuforia dependencies manually and some of them like to regenerate themselves. I must be missing something.

Any best practices for migrating to 2017.2's integrated solution? (Pretty awesome that it's been integrated, by the way)

Thanks!

October 4, 2017 - 10:01am #11

After a few missteps, it seems the best way to proceed is

1. Update Unity project to 2017.2

2. Enable Vuforia in the Player settings

3. Go through each object using Vuforia scripts (which can't be loaded), replace them with the new Vuforia versions

4. Delete the Vuforia folder and the Vuforia-related contents of the Plugins folder

This is at least what I'm attempting to do, but I've run into at least one Vuforia component that I'm not sure how to replace; Hide Excess Area Behavior.

October 4, 2017 - 4:35pm #10

Hello mvgdev01,

There will be a document we are releasing by the time 2017.2 officially launches that will provide guidance on migrating from Vuforia 6.2.10 into the native integration of Vuforia with Unity 2017.2.

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

October 5, 2017 - 6:46am #9

are you talking about a future release?

2017.2.f03 is out... has Vuforia been integrated or not? O_o 

October 5, 2017 - 9:11am #8

Vuforia's definitely integrated in 2017.2.0f2. I'm going through the AR-VR sample on the asset store to see if anything's changed in the new version. Having trouble getting camera-to-stereo-display-output in the same way as the 5.6 legacy version was doing it. Feel like I'm missing something, hopefully the samples will show me the way.

I wanted to just jump ahead to the beta and get the transition over with. Our application has been having some iOS 11 issues that I think Unity 2017 will help with anyhow, so in theory it's really convenient that Vuforia is integrated, but I'm still working through a couple of the hurdles at the moment.

As long as Vuforia works, I understand and accepted the risks of migrating during this soft-release transition period. So I figured I'd just talk about my experiences here and see if anyone else is attempting it. Maybe it will help someone while the official documentation is finalized.

I know that, right now, the only thing in the 2017.2 Beta Unity documentation about Vuforia is a boolean check to see if Vuforia is enabled. So it's definitely in hidden-feature-world at the moment.

I just assumed that converting an existing legacy project over would have been pretty much seamless.

October 5, 2017 - 10:10am #7

Actually doesn't seem like the sample project works with 2017.2.0f2 or 2017.3.0b2. I'm going to roll back to 2017.2.0f1 and check.

October 5, 2017 - 1:03pm #6

Hm, now I've tried both 2017.2.0f1 and 2017.2.0b11 (a recommendation from the Core Samples asset store page)

This all seems to work OK if Digital Eyewear Type is set to "None"; I get the camera piped to the background. As soon as I set it to anything besides "None" I just get a black screen. In fact, trying to use Vuforia Stereo Camera Config for VR Goggles (Merge) throws

Internal error: ViewerDevice. Select didn't recognise the parameter UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object) Vuforia.Device:SelectViewer(IViewerParameters) Vuforia.DigitalEyewearARController:OnVuforiaInitialized() System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action) Vuforia.VuforiaARController:Start() System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action) Vuforia.VuforiaBehaviour:Start()

and a warning:

Couldn't select viewer VR Goggles UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object) Vuforia.DigitalEyewearARController:OnVuforiaInitialized() System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action) Vuforia.VuforiaARController:Start() System.Delegate:DynamicInvoke(Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeDelegate(Delegate, Object[]) Vuforia.DelegateHelper:InvokeWithExceptionHandling(Action) Vuforia.VuforiaBehaviour:Start()

October 5, 2017 - 1:09pm #5

OH JEEZ, okay...

I just had to check "Virtual Reality Supported" as well as "Vuforia Augmented Reality Supported" in the player settings. Now it seems to work, hm... That makes sense.

October 6, 2017 - 8:33am #4

Well I believe I can confirm that Vuforia seems to be working well for Unity 2017.2.0f2 (BETA, Release Candidate 2)

I had to reconstruct my Game Objects in-scene because it's definitely different now, but it wasn't too hard. Seems to look good now!

October 6, 2017 - 4:59pm #3

Vuforia is indeed currently integrated with 2017.2, but I was referring to the official release of 2017.2 as that version is currently in the release candidate phase. We have a document that is being finish that should be available around the time 2017.2 is out of beta/rc that will provide steps for upgrading a project from 5.6 to 2017.2. Sorry for the confusion.

Based on the rest of your posts, it sounds like you were able to get to the bottom of your issue. I'll confirm that what you are seeing and doing is indeed correct - you need to update your Vuforia objects to use the new objects provided in the natively integrated version (6.5) of Vuforia for them to function properly and then remove the old libraries for Vuforia 6.2.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I apologize for the difficulties you have faced in upgrading your project.

Thanks,

-Vuforia Support

October 12, 2017 - 6:39am #2

@strasza,

2017.2 is officially released: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/10/12/unity-2017-2-is-now-available/

Any update on the documentation's availability?

Thanks!

October 12, 2017 - 11:34am #1

Hi Taqtile,

Yes! The document is available here https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/migrate-vuforia-62-to-65.html

Thanks for your patience with this,

-Vuforia Support