Log in or register to post comments

Optical camera zoom for small objects

December 5, 2018 - 3:23am #1

Hi there, I'm working on a project where i have to track some very small 3d objects.

I have the 3d model of the object and I'm using it as the base for the model target recognition, but when I try to recognize it with my device camera (testing on a Samsung Galaxy S6) because of the small size of the object i can't keep up the camera focus.

I was thinking of two possible solutions, but i can't find a way to make them work:

1) is it possible to activate the digital zoom for the webcam? In this way i can get a clear image of the object even if I'm not as close to the object

2) is it possible to use an external feed (like a video or another camera) for the recognition?





If you have any tip for this kind of setup (each object as the size of 1.5cm width, 1.5cm depth and 3 cm height and it's quite rounded) it's more than welcome

Optical camera zoom for small objects

December 5, 2018 - 11:25am #2

Hello,

melazetasrl wrote:

1) is it possible to activate the digital zoom for the webcam? In this way i can get a clear image of the object even if I'm not as close to the object

Camera zoom is not supported by Vuforia as it will negatively impact tracking performance due to changes in camera intrinsic properties, such as focal length.

melazetasrl wrote:

2) is it possible to use an external feed (like a video or another camera) for the recognition?

Vuforia now supports External Cameras. However, the same issue with changes to intrinsic camera properties affecting tracking performance will still apply.


melazetasrl wrote:

If you have any tip for this kind of setup (each object as the size of 1.5cm width, 1.5cm depth and 3 cm height and it's quite rounded) it's more than welcome

We certainly understand this use case limitation (i.e. detecting small objects), but unfortunately I don't have any feedback at this time.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

Log in or register to post comments