"We offer new support options and therefor the forums are now in read-only mode! Please check out our Support Center for more information." - Vuforia Engine Team

Unity 2019 LTS Vuforia + Cardboard iOS Issue

Hi,

I've been using Unity 2019.4.11f1 and Google Cardboard 1.2.0 with no major issues. I've managed to integrate Vuforia 9.4.6 on Android, but not on iOS. If I have the Vuforia package, the cardboard VR will not start and otherwise, it will work normally.

So both Vuforia and Google Cardboard are vital to our app, and we need to find a way to make them work together on iOS. I figure it must be something specific, but I can't tell for sure.

The logs aren't very meaningful:

[Subsystems] Loading plugin cardboard_api for subsystem Display...
[Subsystems] Failed to initialize subsystem Display [error: 1]
[Subsystems] Loading plugin cardboard_api for subsystem Input...
[Subsystems] Failed to initialize subsystem Input [error: 1]

Anyways, we have a thread on the official cardboard repository as well. I don't know which package is causing the issues.

AlyAmeen1995

Wed, 10/14/2020 - 11:51

Same happens to me, can't use vuforia with google cardboad on Unity 2019, that's devastating, because we have a project that already uses both and we can't upgrade it since ios 14.0.1 came out.

joaoborks

Tue, 10/20/2020 - 22:05

I just found out that Vuforia selects Open GL ES 3.x instead of Open GL 2.x, and that's probably why the VR is not loading (even though I only have Open GL ES2 on my player settings):

joaoborks

Tue, 10/27/2020 - 18:17

It's been more than 2 weeks since I first reported this and nobody from Vuforia responded. This issue is affecting my app release since iOS 14 came out. I cannot upgrade my app or publish new features due to this particular issue with iOS.

Hi,

Based on your input, the issue is with Vuforia not selecting openGLES 2 on iOS. Unfortunately this is as expected as we do support only openGLES 3+ on iOS.

Supported versions: https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/platform-support/supported-versions.html

binarysoul

Tue, 11/17/2020 - 13:48

Having exactly the same issue here.

Have a Unity project with Cardboard + Vuforia on Android and iOS that was working just fine until not long ago.

It's been almost 2 months since iOS 14 came out, and we still cannot update our apps only because of this issue. I don't know what else to try, but I think we as users can only go so far. We need developer assistance on this issue.

joaoborks

Fri, 12/04/2020 - 20:33

Today, Google Cardboard has released its 1.4.0 version with official support to OpenGL ES 3. Vuforia still doesn't work. I hardly have any hope now.

iOS build log:

shubharora734

Mon, 12/14/2020 - 14:35

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

The "solution" is just to use another tool instead of Vuforia.
Forums does not work, support neither.
Get away from it and use something else.

shubharora734

Fri, 02/12/2021 - 13:15

So both Vuforia and Google Cardboard are vital to our app, and we need to find a way to make them work together on iOS. I figure it must be something specific, but I can't tell for sure.

hellodear.in

ImmotionPL

Tue, 02/16/2021 - 15:19

Unity deprecated GLES support for iOS, so you're probably (?) building for just Metal.

The new version of Google Cardboard doesn't support Metal yet -> https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard/issues/11

ImmotionPL

Mon, 05/24/2021 - 16:21

v1.5 of the new Google Cardboard, with Metal support, has been released. This issue has not been fixed.. Cardboard VR + Vuforia still doesn't work.

ImmotionPL

Mon, 06/14/2021 - 15:04

It's been suggested that Unity is loading one XRLoader then stopping, so Cardboard isn't being reached. https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard/issues/133#issuecomment-858208790

Does Vuforia use an XRLoader?