Unity 2019.3.0b4: iOS compile error

September 23, 2019 - 8:25am #1

I am getting a compile error when building for iOS using Unity 2019.3.0b4. The error always occurs whenever I activate Vuforia Augmented Reality Support on any scene (even an empty one).

Below the error log. Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Alessandro

---

Failed running /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0b4/Unity.app/Contents/il2cpp/build/il2cppcore/il2cppcore.dll --convert-to-cpp --emit-null-checks --enable-array-bounds-check --dotnetprofile="unityaot" --profiler-report --map-file-parser="/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0b4/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/MapFileParser/MapFileParser" --directory="/Users/alessandro/Work/Temp/VuforiaTest/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed" --generatedcppdir="/Users/alessandro/Work/Temp/VuforiaTest/Temp/il2cppOutput/il2cppOutput"

stdout:

IL2CPP error for type 'UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipeline' in assembly '/Users/alessandro/Work/Temp/VuforiaTest/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll'

Additional information: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

il2cpp.exe didn't catch exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Unity.IL2CPP.ErrorInformation.set_Method(MethodDefinition value)

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericContextFreeVisitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(EventDefinition eventDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Context context)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[T](T node, Context context)

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericsCollector.CollectPerAssembly(AssemblyDefinition assembly)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectIListIterator`2.MoveNext()

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericsCollector.MergeCollections(IEnumerable`1 collections)

at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.Apply()

at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(IEnumerable`1 assemblyDirectories, IEnumerable`1 explicitAssemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder, NPath symbolsFolder, NPath executableAssembiesFolder, NPath monoLibFolder, NPath monoEtcFolder, NPath[] searchDirectories, String entryAssemblyName, NPath[] extraTypesFiles)

at il2cpp.Program.DoRun(String[] args, List`1 foundAssemblies)

at il2cpp.Program.Run(String[] args, Boolean setInvariantCulture)

at il2cpp.Program.Main(String[] args)

stderr:

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Unity.IL2CPP.ErrorInformation.set_Method(MethodDefinition value)

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericContextFreeVisitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(EventDefinition eventDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Context context)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Context context)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[T](T node, Context context)

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericsCollector.CollectPerAssembly(AssemblyDefinition assembly)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectIListIterator`2.MoveNext()

at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericsCollection.GenericsCollector.MergeCollections(IEnumerable`1 collections)

at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.Apply()

at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(IEnumerable`1 assemblyDirectories, IEnumerable`1 explicitAssemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder, NPath symbolsFolder, NPath executableAssembiesFolder, NPath monoLibFolder, NPath monoEtcFolder, NPath[] searchDirectories, String entryAssemblyName, NPath[] extraTypesFiles)

at il2cpp.Program.DoRun(String[] args, List`1 foundAssemblies)

at il2cpp.Program.Run(String[] args, Boolean setInvariantCulture)

at il2cpp.Program.Main(String[] args)

at Program.Main(String[] args) in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/External/il2cpp/il2cpp/il2cppcore/Program.cs:line 24

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)

UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunProgram(Program, String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildUtils.cs:126)

UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunNetCoreProgram(String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase, Action`1) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildUtils.cs:77)

UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:RunIl2CppWithArguments(List`1, Action`1, String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:513)

UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:ConvertPlayerDlltoCpp(Il2CppBuildPipelineData, String, String, Boolean) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:496)

UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:Run() (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:337)

UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils:RunIl2Cpp(String, String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, Action`1, RuntimeClassRegistry) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:65)

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:187)

August 26, 2020 - 12:36am #11

Hi,

Another possibility is to use another Unity version, 2019.2, if I remember correctly the issue was with 2019.3.

Thank you.

Vuforia Engine Support

August 11, 2020 - 12:53pm #10

Hello,

I need version 8.3 to compile using Unity 2019. What should I do if I don't won't to upgrade to Vuforia 8.5?

I need Rotational tracker, which was removed in Vuforia 8.5 - this is a reason why I don't won't to upgrade.

BR

//Marcin

October 21, 2019 - 2:17am #9

Hi

8.5.8 is now available through Unity.

If you have 8.3.8 you will see the prompt to upgrade to 8.3.9. Click on it and you will get the latest 8.5.8 to install.

Thank you.

Vuforia Engine Support

October 18, 2019 - 3:18pm #8

@Mcotora

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to the update and will be on standby for your response.

October 18, 2019 - 1:02am #7

Hi,

The issue is fixed in the latest release of 8.5.

Unfortunately we are experiencing some delays in getting the most up-to-date version to Package Manager. We are waiting on Unity to publish the latest version in the tool.

As soon as the new version is available in Unity, I will update the thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

Vuforia Engine Support

October 17, 2019 - 10:09am #6

@mcotora

When can we expect to have this issue fixed, you mentioned that it would be end of week but we're now on the 17th and the highest version of Vuforia we can download in the Package Manger is 8.3.9

October 7, 2019 - 6:36am #5

I am running on a clock and was wondering if there is any quick fix or a way I can get access to 8.5 outside of unity package manager or any other alternatives. Please advice

October 7, 2019 - 4:41am #4

Hi @ArKratos,

Issue has been fixed in the new 8.5 release.

8.5 was released last week and we are in the process of updating Unity's Package Manager with the new version. Vuforia 8.5, will be available end of this week in Unity.

Thank you.

Vuforia Engine Support

October 7, 2019 - 3:38am #3

I have the same issue. Vuforia 8.3.9 is my vuforia version. What do i Do ?

September 26, 2019 - 4:39am #2

Hi,

I was able to reproduce with Core Sample apps the behavior. The good news is that in the new 8.5 version the issue has been solved.

New version is coming next week.

Thank you.

Vuforia Engine Support