"We offer new support options and therefor the forums are now in read-only mode! Please check out our Support Center for more information." - Vuforia Engine Team

Unity crashes on their 2020.2 version when using Vuforia

Hi there,

I have been using Unity 2020.2 in Apple Silicon and must say that everything is working great so far.

I encounter, though, an error related with Vuforia (9.6.3) in one of our last projects: Unity crashes when adding Vuforia to the project and hitting Unity Play button.

Workarounds

1. As explained in this issue, the problem could happen if UnityHub or Unity Editor are not present in the Security & Privacy settings, but as my last comment in the same thread, I was able to manually enter both UnityHub and UnityEditor to the Camera apps.
  2. I created a simple script to just turn on the camera when hitting on the Play icon on the Unity Editor and it worked, so I can confirm that Unity is properly accessing to the laptop camera.
  3. Unity replied with this when I reported the bug: Judging by the Editor logs, it seems that the Editor crashes on "eyewearDeviceGetScreenOrientation", which is a part of Vuforia, indicating the issue is most likely on Vuforia's side.

Possible solution

Well, I guess that the hint provided by Unity is good enough for Vuforia to take a look and see if something can be found to solve the problem. I could not find documentation about "eyewearDeviceGetScreenOrientation", and it seems to be part of a DLL library. I also tried to find a reference in the settings or code and did not find anything.

If there is something else I can provide to properly solve this issue, please let me know!

Thanks, Sergio

Hi again,

This is to confirm that the problem persists in the last release of the Vuforia SDK: 9.6.4.

I must say that I feel disappointed with the lack of answers in this thread. If there is any information I can provide to find a solution, please let me know.

Hi Zoix,

My understanding is that Unity 2020.2 only supports M1 with the Unity Player and not yet with the Editor.

Hello mcotora.

Thanks for your answer, it makes sense. Unity says that a fully supported version for the Editor is not expected before mid 2021. 

I guess there is no other option different than to wait a little bit more.

Thanks!

RealIllusions

Thu, 01/21/2021 - 21:11

Hello,
Same problem for me, Unity 2020.2.1f1 crash when Vuforia 9.6.4 is started.

I tested Unity and Vuforia months ago with an M1 Mac mini and it worked as intended as I remember...

Now, I received my new MacBook Pro M1 and experiencing the issue.

Hi @Zoix,

Just to confirm, you installed the old Unity 2018.4.31 version and it worked on the M1 mac?

Thank you.

Vuforia Engine Support

Hello @mcotora,

Exactly, Unity 2018 LTS on a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon chip. When hitting play Unity is not crashing, instead, the camera turns on and the flow is the expected. I can share some screenshots tomorrow. 

- - -