Well. I've tried to customize the popular ImageTargets example. First I tried and succeded to buid the app. Then I converted the files to the ARC-compatitability using Edit->Refactor. Then I added a storyboard to the project and changed the AddDelegate a bit to suit the storyboard-based style. Third I customized the ARParentController class so that arRect is now being inited inside the initWithCoder method. qUtils is inited and two targets are added also there. The code from loadView was moved to viewDidLoad. Well then I added a ViewController to my stryboard and changed it class to the ARParentController. Well, it worked. Then I changed my storyboard so now it has two view controllers, embeded in the UINavigationController. The first one has in it's view a button, which actions in a segue to the second view controller, which one is our ARParentController. Well, this works too. But not for long. After going forward-returning for multiple times (from 2 to 10) the app crashes.
I knew about that the qUtils objects is declared static so it stays right there even when I come back to the first view and that it includes no code that sets targetList array to nil (forgetting about dealloc method which is not called because we have a strong pointer to our qUtils object since it is static), so in initWithCoder of ARParentController I do:
qUtils.targetsList = [NSMutableArray array];
Still it doesn't help. In Instruments utility I see an inceasement of memory used at about 1.5MB and 1500 points in #Live column. After digging into the instruments I noticed that two of the largest leaked objects are pretty similar to the two target .dat files (meaning their size). So I suppose that they are still in memory.