Unity 5.5.1f1 + GVR 1.30 + vuforia 6.2.10: Cardboard UI missing + Camera view stretched

March 14, 2017 - 3:07am #1

Hi devs,

I have two problems with my current setup. I'm using

• Unity 5.5.1f1
  • Google VR SDK 1.30
  • vuforia 6.2.10

I'm working on a Windows machine, using GIT for version control. The iOS App is build on a Mac (OS: El Capitan 10.11.6 and Xcode 8.2.1). The iPhone has iOS 10.2.1 (latest version).

Project TestGVR-551-GVR-130

Using Unity and GVR 1.30. Using the official "GVRDemo" scene. This works fine

Project TestGVR-551-GVR-130-V-6210

Then I cloned the above project and imported vuforia 6.2.10. Also using the "GVRDemo" scene I have two issues:

1. The Cardboard UI is gone. So there's no Settings button, Back button and Divider in the middle of the screen.
  2. As you can see in the images the view isn't correct and therefore once you put the device into the cardboard it's not useable.

Both problems are only on iOS. On Android everything works fine.

Any idea what I can try out?

Thanks

[SOLVED] Unity 5.5.1f1 + GVR 1.30 + vuforia 6.2.10: Cardboard UI missing + Camera view stretched

March 15, 2017 - 6:00am #4

SOLVED!

Ok, it's pretty easy, but with all these different plugins and new technology with lots of iterations and updates, the whole subject can get quite complicated. Thanks again to NGC6543 from the Unity forum to remember me to look at the Integration Guide:

https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/Integrating-Cardboard-to-the-ARVR-Sample

Scrolling down all the way to the bottom there are instructions for iOS called "iOS: Unity Build & Xcode Project Changes". In my test project I did all of them and then the view was correct. In my real project I just deleted the mentioned "VuforiaNativeRendererController.mm".

That's it.

Unity 5.5.1f1 + GVR 1.30 + vuforia 6.2.10: Cardboard UI missing + Camera view stretched

March 15, 2017 - 4:27am #3

Some further research. I tried using GVR 1.10, but still the same problems occur.

A user in the Unity forum said he had no issues with the setup (GVR 1.10 and vuforia 6.2.10). I'm not sure what Unity version he uses.

Again, here are two more pictures which show the problems I have. Also to clarify this: I get this behaviour just by importing vuforia into my clean project (Unity 5.5.1f1 + GVR 1.10) running the GVRDemo scene. The clean project works. Once vuforia is imported without using anything from vuforia, the problems occur on iOS (only).

Please have a look at the attachment this. Any ideas how to solve this?

REPRO:

1. Start new Unity 5.5.1f1 project for iOS / iPhone
  2. Import GVR 1.10 unity package (https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk/archive/v1.10.0.zip)
  3. Open GVRDemo scene and add it to the Scenes in Build at the Build Settings
  4. Set an unique BundleIdentifier (e.g. u511gvr110) and name the App "gvr110"
  5. Build this App so it's on your iPhone

This works as it should for GVR. Now copy the above project

1. Rename BundleIdentifier (e.g. u511gvr110v6210) and name the App "gvr110-v6210"
  2. Import the ImageTargets-6-2-10.unitypackage
  3. Build the app.

You should have both apps on your device and see the difference.

March 15, 2017 - 1:55am #2

Hi,

while reading this (https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/Integrating-Cardboard-to-the-ARVR-Sample) how-to I was remembered that GVR is included in the vuforia version I'm using. So maybe this is the reason that something goes wrong:

• No Cardboard display, because it's also not in the intergrated GVR in vuforia(?). Or vuforia is somehow deactivating it?
  • The strange offset from left and right camera (so that the app isn't working in the cardboard) from having two versions of GVR in the project(?)

But it's strange that this is only on iOS. On Android it works fine. Cardboard UI is there and the view is correct for Cardboard. I think it's some vuforia file(s) that are causing the issue. But I have no idea where to start/test.

Any idea?

Thanks