Black screen on Android with 8.0.10

January 11, 2019 - 7:01am #1

Unity 2018.2.5f1, using the same setup for the last few months without issues. We updated our Vuforia support from 7.5.26 to 8.0.10. The Vuforia camera background is now black on Android (but everything's fine in the editor).

Reading the ADB device logs, the vuforia initialization is successful, ARCore enabled and so. Then I start to get these:

01-11 08:47:34.129  4259 11146 D SensorListener: Sensor(8) valid data is not coming yet!

And this almost every frame:

01-11 08:47:34.463  4259  4708 E ExynosCameraRequestManager: ERR(m_push[460]):m_push failed, request already exist!! Request frameCnt( 4 )

01-11 08:47:34.463  4259  4708 E ExynosCameraRequestManager: ERR(pushFrameFactory[547]):pushFrameFactory is failed StreamID(16) factory(0xeb880000)

Tried on Galaxy S8+ and S9+

I tried to revert the file VideoBackground.shader but it doesn't solve the issue.

I can see in our logs that the image target detection works under the hood.

Do you have any clues? Thank you

edit: Using LWRP

September 19, 2019 - 8:01am #32

How ?

September 19, 2019 - 7:58am #31

I have the same problem. Everything work fine one single APK But when I split it to APK and OBB  file it's does't work. Still black screen on Android.

Please help me to fix it.

September 19, 2019 - 7:28am #30

I have the same problem. Still stuck on this black screen.

Can one help us.

August 22, 2019 - 2:31pm #29

My problem was solved by changing the near clip and far in camera setting.

July 14, 2019 - 6:59am #28

can anyone post  

[ Unity 2019.1.x - Vuforia 8.x - LWRP ]

versions that actually works together !

il2cpp

for both Android & IOS.

i can't find anything to get started with

I am dealing with all sorts of errors

what's your best combination ? 

vuforia support team any suggestions ? 

thanks alot.

I will start this :

[Unity 2019.1.6f1 - Vuforia 8.3.8 - LWRP 5.7.2 ]

Tested on Android. ARM64 - IL2CPP

[Unity 2019.1.10f1 - Vuforia 8.3.8 - LWRP 5.7.2 ]

Tested on Android. ARM64 - IL2CPP

June 25, 2019 - 10:40am #27

Hello @Sumit47,

Some versions of Unity shipped with Vuforia 8.1.7, and were then upgraded via Vuforia installer. If you re-download that version of Unity, you'll still find the previous version of Vuforia Engine packaged with it.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

June 24, 2019 - 5:55am #26

How to downgrade Vuforia version from 8.1.10 to 8.1.7 ?

June 14, 2019 - 2:39pm #25

Same problem. The LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter script does not work.

Version LWRP 5.16.1

Unity version 2019.1.5f1

Version Vuvforia 8.1.11

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter+<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<ConnectToVideoBackgroundBehaviour>b__0 () (at Assets/LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.cs:50)

LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.OnBeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Camera[] cams) (at Assets/LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.cs:68)

UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipeline.<RenderPipeline>m__0 (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:14)

UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.BeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:20)

UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.BeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:50)

UnityEngine.Rendering.LWRP.LightweightRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight@5.16.1/Runtime/LightweightRenderPipeline.cs:120)

UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:72)

UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:67)

June 10, 2019 - 10:08am #24

one simple question:

If we downgrade our Vuforia SDK to 8.1.7, as @netcarbon does, all our problems are solved in unity 2019?!

June 10, 2019 - 4:50am #23

Hi @medabit

I have no black screen (Fortunately!), but LWRP shaders are all losing and be pink.

Is there Any solution? thanks.

Unity 2019.4

Vuforia 8.1.11

LWRP +5.7.2 (5.16 also tested)  

April 30, 2019 - 9:32am #22

Hello,

Although possibly unrelated to @netcarbon's post, we are tracking several issues when using Vuforia 8.1 with Unity Editor 2019.1:

https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/unity/known-issues-unity-20191

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

April 30, 2019 - 2:04am #21

Edit: I've made a new test project using the LWRP template and I can confirm that Vuforia and LWRP now work out of the box.

Here's what im using:

• Unity 2019.1.0f2
  • Vuforia 8.1.7
  • LWRP 5.7.2

The one below is tested on my current AR project after upgrading from Unity 2018.3.5. 

_____

I've tested the above script (LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter) and it doesn't seem to work. It produced the following errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter+<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<ConnectToVideoBackgroundBehaviour>b__0 () (at Assets/Scripts/Utility/LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.cs:50)
LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.OnBeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Camera[] cams) (at Assets/Scripts/Utility/LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.cs:68)
UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipeline.<RenderPipeline>m__0 (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:14)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.BeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:20)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.BeginFrameRendering (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:50)
UnityEngine.Rendering.LWRP.LightweightRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight@5.7.2/Runtime/LightweightRenderPipeline.cs:106)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:72)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:67)

Guessing that since LWRP is now official, the script (uses Experimental.Rendering) doesn't work now?

4 | using UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering; 

Any workarounds?

April 26, 2019 - 2:54pm #20

Hello @tanton18, others,

I just re-ran the entire upgrade workflow from upgrading the Unity Engine to 2019, to downloading the Vuforia Engine SDK (8.1.7), to downloading the Core samples from the Asset Store. I changed nothing, only dragging all sample scenes into the heirarchy and then building for Android.

The only unusual thing that I observed was a total black screen the first time I launched the app - no splash screen, no menu, nothing. However, the second time I ran it, the app launched and worked as expected. This was on a Samsung Galaxy A8 (SM-A530F).

Is the SDK emitting any error messages via logcat?

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

April 26, 2019 - 1:45am #19

I am also experiencing this issue. I updated Unity to the 2019.1.0f2 version and Vuforia to the newest version available and the AR camera screen is now black on Android but everything is fine in the Unity Editor.

The issue was not present on previous versions.

Are there any news on this problem?

April 9, 2019 - 3:20pm #18

This still happens in Unity 2018.3.12 with Vuforia 8.1.7 on Android, not iOS for me.

I've noticed manually Starting the CameraDevice does work but I think the problem is further down the line cause none of my ImageTarget DataSet gets loaded...

Pleas update on this issue?

April 3, 2019 - 9:21am #17

Also I have the same problem on version 8.1.7 of vuforia, when running on android. On play mode in editor is working but not when compiled to android, i haven't test on ios

March 27, 2019 - 7:00am #16

Vuforia 8.1.7 released and I still having black screen, plz someone help me

February 14, 2019 - 2:51pm #15

Hello,

The fix for the originally reported issue on this thread, use of Unity's LWRP with Vuforia Engine SDK 8.0.10, will be resolved in our next commercial release: 8.1.X

Tentative release is scheduled for mid-March 2019.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

January 30, 2019 - 8:59am #14

Hey,

Here are some more details:

Unity 2018.3.0f2

Vuforia 8.0.10

LWRP 4.9.0

Currently only tested it in the editor, haven't built the project yet. It is configured as an iOS project.

The script is attached to the ARCamera, the same GameObject that contains the Vuforia Behaviour Script.

Thanks for your help!

January 30, 2019 - 5:10am #13

Hey roilev, I've never seen your issue.

Please give some details:

Unity version?

Vuforia version?

Are you SURE that you are using the LWRP? What version?

Are you getting the framebuffer error in the editor? Mobile? Console?

Mobile model + OS version?

Are you sure that the workaround component LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.cs is on your Vuforia Camera?

January 29, 2019 - 12:14pm #12

Hey,

I'm trying to implement the workaround but keep getting a framebuffer error ( OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION: Framebuffer is not complete or incompatible with command ). Has anybody experienced it? Any known fix?

Thanks!

January 22, 2019 - 8:56am #11

It works!!! Thanks a LOT Vuforia! We'll move forward with our tests but it looks really promising.

January 22, 2019 - 7:40am #10

Hello,

Please find the link below to the workaround script that hopefully will unblock you. Instructions on how to use it are in the comments of the file. Basically, this needs to go on the ARCamera and should *only be used with LWRP*:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/faturaqjf47idxn/LWRPVuforiaRenderingAdapter.zip?dl=0

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

January 18, 2019 - 8:33am #9

That is such good news :) Thank you!

January 18, 2019 - 7:57am #8

Hello,

All good feedback and we certainly will look to shore this up for both support, and testing.

Additionally, the team is working to provide a workaround for anyone who is not interested in rolling back to 7.5. Hope to post this early next week.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

January 17, 2019 - 8:39am #7

We do know that the ScriptableRenderPipeline may not be official but still, this is what unity are promoting for the last year. They even encourage the devs to follow their tutorials using HD / LW pipeline - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDX_NBGJ2xM

We already reverted to 7.5.26 the same day we got the black screen with 8.0.10. Reverting to the standard pipeline isn't an option at this point since we've passed the beta milestone.

I do think it would be a good thing for you to test your engine against those 2 new pipelines as they might switch from preview to official in a near future.

Anyway, thank you for your time and support :) I appreciate it!

January 17, 2019 - 8:23am #6

Hello,

We are still investigating what is causing the issue. Only known workarounds so far:

1. Roll back the Vuforia version to 7.5 - simplest way is to reinstall the same Unity version and not upgrade Vuforia.
  2. Not use the Scriptable Render Pipeline - but we think this is something that is set up once per project and cannot be changed.

We also have to point out that the Scriptable Render Pipeline (including LW RP) is still marked as a preview feature in Unity 2018.3: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptableRenderPipeline.html. Unity explicitly states this should not be used in production.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

January 16, 2019 - 2:27pm #5

Hello,

Many, many thanks for the resources. The team was able to reproduce the issue and will investigate immediately.

I'll update this thread with information as it becomes available.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

January 16, 2019 - 11:54am #4

There you go. I made a quick working scene from scratch reflecting our setup. We have a starter scene that loads stuff. Vuforia is in Delayed Initialization. Then, I load what I called the Vuforia Persistent Scene that contains my image target + AR Camera and stays alive throughout the many scene changes.

VuforiaBlackscreen_7.5.26.zip = Initial working setup. You have a working APK in /bin/game.apk

VuforiaBlackscreen_8.0.10.zip = Previous setup upgraded to 8.0.10. The camera is working fine in the editor but you'll notice the blackscreen on Android, build in /bin/game.apk

Thank you for your support!

edit: please note that we're also using the Lightweight Rendering Pipeline.

January 16, 2019 - 10:26am #3

Perfect Timing. i have to release a version to the app store tomorrow and I'm having what seems to be the exact same issue. my iOS versions work fine.

are there any recommended settings to at least get a test case scenario where we could expect it to be working.

January 16, 2019 - 8:40am #2

Hello,

Thanks for the report. We will investigate ASAP.

It would be tremendously helpful to us if you can provide a minimal repro Unity project for us to test with. It is requested because of the large number of permutations that can occur with Unity rendering settings. Understanding exactly which settings are causing this regression are important to help accelerate the RCA.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support